Tutorials For Setup of Dahua cameras?

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got my first Dahua from Andy a few days ago. Setup seems to be quite different from Hikvision and others I have had in the past. Not very intuitive. Are they any good videos or tutorials online about setup of actual camera? Not Nvr or computer software.
Thanks

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, but not what is needed. Looking for info on actual camera settings. Record, detection, schedules, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find that playing around with it is more informative than this official Dahua wiki LOL:

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, Finding information is harder than getting the truth from a politician. I`m thinking this might be why Hikvision is more popular?

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where I live (Philippines) I cannot find a dahua camera in stock, even if they say they handle them, they really dont. Maybe there is a better mark up on hikvision?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us here find the Dahua GUI to be more user friendly and easier to set up than the Hikvisions. YMMV.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got my first Dahua from Andy a few days ago. Setup seems to be quite different from Hikvision and others I have had in the past. Not very intuitive. Are they any good videos or tutorials online about setup of actual camera? Not Nvr or computer software.
Thanks
I completely agree with your findings (or the lack thereof).
PROS
  • Dahua cameras are of good quality in build and images.
  • Feature rich - on par with other brands.
  • Fair pricing through 'grey market' resellers like Andy (he's very good in response / fast shipping as well)
CONS
  • Positioned solely for resellers
  • Abysmal documentation (scattered, inconsistent, and often outdated)
  • Non-intuitive interaction / setup steps even within their own NVRs.
As you've seen - there are a few regular forum members who, are quick to defend Dahua and suggest you're not doing your homework. Ignore them - you're not alone.
I wish I could point you to a single resource, but as yet - have not found one.
Camera settings are set via logging into each camera, not via NVR or software (and I know you're not asking that particular question).
You can likely find answers about each in-camera setting via this forum (keyword searches), and wiki links others have posted.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are mistaken...

Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and Dahua support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what forums like this are for!!!

Some here prefer Hik and some here prefer Dahua, but to say ignore the comments of valuable members here is short-sighted. You have to recognize they are not in business to compete with the Rings and Arlos of the world.

Personally, I have found Dahua and even Hik gear to be more intuitive than any big box store, consumer grade all-in-one kit that I have had prior to becoming educated on cameras. After playing with both, I prefer Dahua over Hik, but to each their own and YMMV.

So either go with consumer grade stuff or "suffer" with no support for better cameras, but end up with a better system after playing and learning it....or pay a Dahua or Hik authorized installer to set up the system...

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
  • Fair pricing through 'grey market' resellers like Andy (he's very good in response / fast shipping as well)
A grey market or dark market is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are not authorized by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor. Grey market products (grey goods) are products traded outside the authorized manufacturer's channel.

Andy IS NOT a grey market vendor. Companies like Dahua, Hikvision and others sell their products to authorized 3rd party vendors (3PV), like Andy, to put their own branding on. Some of the re-branded items also have their firmware modified by the 3PV depending on the agreement between the manufacturer and 3PV.

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A grey market or dark market is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are not authorized by the original manufacturer or trade mark proprietor. Grey market products (grey goods) are products traded outside the authorized manufacturer's channel.

Andy IS NOT a grey market vendor. Companies like Dahua, Hikvision and others sell their products to authorized 3rd party vendors (3PV), like Andy, to put their own branding on. Some of the re-branded items also have their firmware modified by the 3PV depending on the agreement between the manufacturer and 3PV.
Thanks for clarifying!

Gigapalooza

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are mistaken...

Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and Dahua support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what forums like this are for!!!

Some here prefer Hik and some here prefer Dahua, but to say ignore the comments of valuable members here is short-sighted. You have to recognize they are not in business to compete with the Rings and Arlos of the world.

Personally, I have found Dahua and even Hik gear to be more intuitive than any big box store, consumer grade all-in-one kit that I have had prior to becoming educated on cameras. After playing with both, I prefer Dahua over Hik, but to each their own and YMMV.

So either go with consumer grade stuff or "suffer" with no support for better cameras, but end up with a better system after playing and learning it....or pay a Dahua or Hik authorized installer to set up the system...
Your long condescending reply underscored the point I was making. Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your long condescending reply underscored the point I was making. Thank you.
Sorry, but my reply wasn't condescending as it is the truth. Please correct me and prove to us that Hik and Dahua cater to the consumer and not the authorized professional installers. Please point out where I am condescending.

As a consumer not buying this stuff through an authorized installer, please prove to us that you can call Hik or Dahua and actually get them to interact with you. We have countless threads here were people have tried just that and they basically told them to pound salt and talk to their vendor, so the person comes here looking for advice and suggestions.

I stated in my personal opinion having used both, I find the Dahua more intuitive and user friendly than HIK. That is my opinion. You have your opinion. I am not telling anyone to ignore you. You are entitled to your opinion and I stated YMMV.

You telling someone to ignore people that don't share your opinion is rude and condescending....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the more typical 'grey market' vendors don't sell the International version (like Andy) , they may be hacked Chinese to English and generally the firmware can't be upgraded when needed (as Andy's can).

Yes, Andy is fast in response, shipping and support.....IMO, he sets the bar. :cool: