Trying to understand what (and what does not) trigger a camera for motion alerts

Reaction score
I have been doing testing all day on certain camera things (working with Deepstack AI & OnGuard stuff). Today's confusion is ... motion detection on one specific camera that I am using a test camera for AI.

T5442TM-AS Dahua model.
System Version
V2.800.0000000.11.R, Build Date: 2019-12-30
WEB Version
V3.2.1.841565
ONVIF Version
18.12(V2.4.5.800245)

I will toss up 4 pics on the 5442 camera which is using D1 substream. #1 motion alert picture of me walking away from house all the way down the driveway blacktop 100' away and then returning to house in #2 motion alert picture. In color. Same #3 and #4 for B&W (wanted to see if any difference).
start.jpgend.jpgstart black_white.jpgend black_white.jpg

Min Object Size is 275. Contrast is 25. Min duration is 0.3 seconds. Object detection is set to 80 pixels. Pretty darn sensitive.
Yet.. both color and b&w triggers alert snapshot and captured video as I am leaving...none of me walking all the way down the blacktop, nor when I return until I am near the truck in nearly a minute and half of walking.
What am I missing? My logic says I should have a good number of snapshot alerts or captured video of me walking out and back in. Granted, from camera to that bush in the center is 50' distance and nearly 100' to the end of blackop (that green box above ground in the distance).
I know tripwires and zones will be what I look into next. But I am actually curious, for example, as to why the camera does not trigger an alert as I am walking behind the red truck towards my house when I have the settings pretty sensitive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been doing testing all day on certain camera things (working with Deepstack AI & OnGuard stuff). Today's confusion is ... motion detection on one specific camera that I am using a test camera for AI.

T5442TM-AS Dahua model.
System Version
V2.800.0000000.11.R, Build Date: 2019-12-30
WEB Version
V3.2.1.841565
ONVIF Version
18.12(V2.4.5.800245)

I will toss up 4 pics on the 5442 camera which is using D1 substream. #1 motion alert picture of me walking away from house all the way down the driveway blacktop 100' away and then returning to house in #2 motion alert picture. In color. Same #3 and #4 for B&W (wanted to see if any difference).
View attachment 77738View attachment 77739View attachment 77740View attachment 77741

Min Object Size is 275. Contrast is 25. Min duration is 0.3 seconds. Object detection is set to 80 pixels. Pretty darn sensitive.
Yet.. both color and b&w triggers alert snapshot and captured video as I am leaving...none of me walking all the way down the blacktop, nor when I return until I am near the truck in nearly a minute and half of walking.
What am I missing? My logic says I should have a good number of snapshot alerts or captured video of me walking out and back in. Granted, from camera to that bush in the center is 50' distance and nearly 100' to the end of blackop (that green box above ground in the distance).
I know tripwires and zones will be what I look into next. But I am actually curious, for example, as to why the camera does not trigger an alert as I am walking behind the red truck towards my house when I have the settings pretty sensitive.
are you using edge vector? if so switch to simple.