trying to set up POE Switch (C3750X)

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so im trying to set up a switch but cant figure it out
I bought a 3750X switch to run all of my cameras, pc, debit machine etc.
trying to figure out how to connect the switch to PC and get into set up . to set it up as POE switch so i can hook everything up

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the exact model number. 3750X is only part of the model number.. This is a network switch and will require some configuration.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you dont need it to do anything special, I think the defaut config will just run and apply the appropriate wattage/voltage in a hand shake with the cameras ( mine did). I think i have similar model. they have LAn based and Ip based versions mine happed to be an IP based version. I had to Google around to figure out a way into the router, and while i was doing that the cameras were just taking off of thier own accord and working. I can't remember if I had to Telnet or something with an obscure download. I had the blue Console cord, but i dont think i needed it in the long haul. If i wanto make Vlan's i'll have to try and get back in.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
here's a guy who had no Cisco usb cord. but got help....

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
getting back to this, finally got all my new cameras and putting this system together.
cisco system is
WS-C3750X-48P-L V02

so i just want to power this up so the POE ports work so i can log in and connect system to computer.

so few questions

1. how do i set up the cisco 3750x as a POE so that i can plug in my camera, debit machine, computers etc

2.how do i log in to access this switch on my computer so i can go into blue iris and see the cameras connected

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Auto Smartports Macros
Auto Smartports macros dynamically configure ports based on the device type detected on the port. When the switch detects a new device on a port, it applies the appropriate macro. When there is a link-down event, the switch removes the macro. For example, when you connect a Cisco IP phone to a port, Auto Smartports applies the IP phone macro. The IP phone macro enables quality of service (QoS), security features, and a dedicated voice VLAN to ensure proper treatment of delay-sensitive voice traffic. Auto Smartports uses event triggers to map devices to port macros.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd just power up the switch, and add stuff. See what auto-magically works and what needs to be configured. All my cams just auto - connect no matter what port i put them in. same with the DVR, and the PC, and the Router. But I'm also know as Johnny Click n Crash. :wave: My system is not running a POS debit. It's just surveillance so there's not much detail needed to get it running. If you Google around, you'll find the various methods to Login to the Switch with a couple different kinds of cables.

Last edited:

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ethernet ran from modem to switch (confirmed cable is good - plugged it from modem to laptop - works fine)

i did reset, i did express set up, i plugged in computer (ethernet port of computer to ethernet port of switch) but i cannot access the 10.0.0 or 10.0.1 address
both lights green at switch and at PC, but no internet access (ethernet plugged in direct from modem to switch - with green light at both ends)
diag on pc ran - ethernet does have valid IP configuration
if i manually press mode switch at back of switch to POE, (so SYS is green, MAST is green POE is green, stays like that for about 20 sec, then goes back to SYS green, MAST green, STAT green)

what am i missing here?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say Modem, what device exactly are you talking about? I don't see anything about a router. Routers need to be there to do NAT and DHCP etc....if it is a "modem/router" combo, maybe thats what your talking about.
What IP address does the modem assign to the PC? Thats your clue. You may not be in a 10.0.0.0 network

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bell sagemcom home hub - modem router thats right
ip address i get from modem is a 184...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in windows, go search for the command prompt, CMD, and type in, ipconfig /all
see what IP address and gateway address you have

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinkin You're gonna need somebody to help you get this setup in person. It sounds you have multiple issues going on at the same time. Your not sure what the status is of the switch, your unsure what IP addresses are in use.
Your BELL home hub has information about what IP addresses it has leased to what devices. It's not a router I'm familiar with.
You should be looking at all the menus in side the Bell and glean as much information about your current network status as possible. take pictures with your phone of stuff you want to refer back to. your switch maybe already assigned an ip address by the Bell when it's connected. Or your switch is operating in Layer 2 and you dont need to do anything.
If you plug the Bell and the PC into the switch can you login to the Bell? what is the admin login IP of the Bell?

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is a great switch but it is enterprise-grade gear. Configuration will be done either through a console cable or SSH in a command-line environment. There are a few tools out there that allow the switch to be configured through a graphical interface but I'm not aware of any free ones (they may exist, I just haven't seen them). As others have said, plug it in and see what happens. If it doesn't work properly, try resetting it to factory defaults. Search online for how-to articles as it is usually a little more involved than grabbing a straightened paper clip.

Also, something very important to keep in mind, these switches will take 5-10 minutes to boot so be patient.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the easy switches may be the way to go. did I really need the enterprise switch?
I think I followed a you tube tutorial with basic Cisco command line to get my cisco 3560 -24PS or whatever it is, reset to factory defaults. Took a look around inside in some graphical environment. I think I may have used Putty or something with the Blue console cable. I know I tried a few things to get in there, but it's been awhile.
The the default settings were good for an "offline" camera system. I haven't tried Vlans. I just plugged everything in and waited and watched. The router and the PC and cams all came up so I was good to go. the Wifi network is the local Xfinity signal with some kind of 172.something.something. address, I pick up in the building. So the Camera's are isolated from that net, on the IPv4 192.168.1.1 net. I use the wifi to email motion alerts from a couple cams to let me know the damn thing is alive over the weekend. So it's maybe essentially like having a poormans 2 Nic setup. the PC has 2 IP's, the local host IP addressing and then the USB wifi module is the other network.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so good news, i am now able to access the switch VIA PUTTY
is there a link to do the set up to assign IP to the switch and make it function as a POE
modem - works
tested modem ---ethernet cable--- direct to PC ... Internet works
modem ---ethernet cable--- to switch .... then ethernet cable from switch POE port to computer - internet does not work
so there is some sort of set up i have to do in the switch itself (my friend said its to assign an IP to switch, so each POE port then has an IP address)

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is your modem a modem/router combo unit or is purely a modem? If it is just a modem, you'll need a router in the mix too. Also keep in mind to power cycle your modem any time you move it to a different device. Often times they bind to the MAC address of the device they were connected to at power-up and won't talk to any other device.

If your modem is a modem/router, then check to see if there are any VLANs set up on the switch. They can survive a factory reset due to how Cisco stores the VLAN info. Here are instructions (Resetting Catalyst Switches to Factory Defaults). They are for a different switch but it should point you in the right direction.