Troubleshooting a Computer...

Reaction score
I had a home-made computer keel over and die recently. This is for the kids, a "homework" and simple online games as it has only onboard graphics.
Well... It would not post, no response to on-off switch.

Plugging in a cord to the power supply turning on the power supply switch gave me a standby led at the network port, so SOME power was going into the motherboard (a Gigabyte board: Amazon.com: Gigabyte Motherboard Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 GA-B150M-D3H-GSM: Computers & Accessories ) with a I5-6th gen in it. So--- bad power supply is the primary culprit in the past under those symptoms. I decided to just order a new power supply-- an inexpensive Corsair 450 watt unit. Installed it. Nada. I looked at the board--- all the caps seem to look good-- no bulging. No sign of overheating anywhere. It actually still looks brand new. The whole thing has seen very light use since I built it.

The case is a CoolerMaster HAF..... should I be suspicious of the power on-off switch? Seriously-- What are the odds of that failing 5 years after the build? I guess it's the last thing to check to know for sure the mb is bad...

So--- if the mb is bad, would I be on the hook for another Win10 license-- Is it tied to the dead MB which can not be directly replaced? It sucks to only get 5 years out of that. I was expecting a lot longer with that build... :/

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So--- if the mb is bad, would I be on the hook for another Win10 license-- Is it tied to the dead MB which can not be directly replaced? It sucks to only get 5 years out of that. I was expecting a lot longer with that build... :/
I'd either use the same brand and exact part # m/b as replacement or a similar m/b with the EXACT same chip set that supports that CPU and socket, move the RAM over and CPU (with new heat sink compound, of course) and fire it up, preferably do a fresh install of Win 10 with a USB stick created with the MS Media Creation Tool.

I'd be very surprised if it did NOT activate.

EDIT: one left in TX on FleaBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Presuming that parts do fail, either to a power outage or power spike or simply one their own, I'd do further investigation rather than jumping to the conclusion that the MB as the failed. You don't mention if you've tried to manually interrupt Windows boot to jump into BIOS. Also, does this board provide any on-board display, LED, or beeps to help troubleshoot?

As this is a home-made system, I'd start removing pieces/parts one by one and make sure they are not the culprit of causing a short. (or go the other extreme and remove everything and add part back on one at a time.) Disconnect every external connection, other than a keyboard and monitor; LAN, Audio, USB, etc. Validate on another desktop or laptop that the monitor and KB are working.

Would be good to double check any/all buttons on the case to ensure they're not stuck. (even better disconnect the switches from the MB)

If the worst has happen and a new MB is required it's not the end of the world. Keeping most of the original items (CPU, memory, disk) Windows may survive and remain authorized. If not, call Microsoft and tell them what's happened. Nine out of ten times, they'll provide a new key while on the call.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
mighta smoked the processor. it has the right symptoms. you need processing power to even see a BIOS screen. So you dont have that. or like you theorize the MB. if you have any other 6th gen processor you can get your hands on, you could see if it boots before you buy a board. I have had this scenario end both ways. bad processor or bad mobo. then again, I've had powersupplies go out as well... but then usually i see no Led from the board or the ethernet port.
and since you replaced the power supply, it should be down to 2 options. given other stuff hasn't had a can of pepsi dumped on it or something.

Reaction score
If you suspect a bad power switch on your case, it's possible to bypass it. I've used this method before when testing PC components. You will have to disconnect the power switch cables from the motherboard and use a screw driver to bridge the pins.

Jump a Motherboard

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Swigert (CMP): Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here.

CAPCOM Jack Lousma (CC): This is Houston. Say again, please.

Lovell (CDR): Uh, Houston, we've had a problem.

Lovell (CDR): We've had a MAIN B BUS undervolt.

CAPCOM Jack Lousma (CC): Roger MAIN B undervolt.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would pull the motherboard out of the case, and strip it down - remove any that can be connected/attached. All you should have is the motherboard with the CPU and it's cooler the power supply and that is it. No Memory, no hard drive no nothing. Does the mother board have a speaker so you can hear beep tones or some sort of digital display on the board to show codes? If not, you can one for less than $5. Pull the cmos battery let everything set for 5 or 10 minutes and then see if it will boot at all and get into the bios. This is where the beep codes come in, hopefully you should hear something and then google it. You can start by adding one stick of ram, etc etc

Reaction score
If you suspect a bad power switch on your case, it's possible to bypass it. I've used this method before when testing PC components. You will have to disconnect the power switch cables from the motherboard and use a screw driver to bridge the pins.

Jump a Motherboard
Tried it. Nada! In the pic below the switch connection is still unplugged...

Had the dirt been cleaned out of the computer during those 5 yrs.
Once in a while...LOL :cool: the pic shows it as it sits. You can see some dust bunnies growing in the heat sink fins, but otherwise it's pretty clean. I disconnected both drives, left the memory in. the expansion card is a Firewire addon--- yes I still have a firewire device to use (a little 8 channel audio mixer). I can pull it, but I don't think it will make a difference.

1616979568688.png

Below, you can see the led powered up at the ethernet port... SOME power is going through this board....
1616979851093.png

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Does it have a speaker - if not buy the speaker like I linked to and connect it to your motherboard. When you power up the board - listen for the beeps

What does BIOS beep sound mean?
1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Reaction score
Does it have a speaker - if not buy the speaker like I linked to and connect it to your motherboard. When you power up the board - listen for the beeps

What does BIOS beep sound mean?
1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction
Yes-- in the pic it is laying on the MB-- I had unplugged it after trying... no beeps of any kind. :/

1616987420261.png

You got me thinking though....

My BI computer is on a APC UPS along with the POE switch, router, and cable modem. It records powerline irregularities...
Looks like I had a 5 second blackout

1616987664542.png

Looking further.... there was an undervoltage event between 4 and 12 weeks ago. I don't know for certain when the machine died.... but it could have been more than 4 weeks ago...

1616988089448.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it do anything with just only just the CPU, so remove all the RAM, disconnect all the hard drives and all expansion cards. If that does nothing then it's also worth trying with an add-on graphics card plugged into the expansion slot. I know you've already tried a new PSU but last thing I would try is jumpering the board to give it the required power on/good signal to see if it behaves any different.

Reaction score
@sdkid ,
It's been almost 2 weeks...inquiring minds want to know....did you get it fixed? :idk:
Been super crazy busy--- AND my back went out BAD--- I couldn't even put my own socks on for 4 days.

No matter what I did-- there was just NO operation of anything on that board beyond the one LED on the network port. So...I ordered a newly refurbished identical MB from China delivered for about $52. I was really debating dropping any more money in it, but decided to bite the bullet and do it. The replacement MB will be hear in a few weeks.... I am really hoping I can pop it in and have no issues with Windows or anything...... what are my chances of that?? I hope to hell my I5-6th isn't fried....

I will update when I get it installed.

EDIT:
I ALSO gambled on ordering from this Chinese company...... here is the listing. Anybody heard of these guys?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been super crazy busy--- AND my back went out BAD--- I couldn't even put my own socks on for 4 days.
Wow, sorry to hear that..... just came from the chiropractor myself today......have 2 herniated disks (L4 & 5) since '88.
Ice is my biggest friend...have worn out one ICEDOWN belt, on my second one.

So...I ordered a newly refurbished identical MB I am really hoping I can pop it in and have no issues with Windows or anything...... what are my chances of that?? I
VERY good.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I am really hoping I can pop it in and have no issues with Windows or anything...... what are my chances of that?? I hope to hell my I5-6th isn't fried....

50% channce. 50/50 MoBo or Processor without any testing. I usually guess wrong and end up with both new Mobo and Processor :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am really hoping I can pop it in and have no issues with Windows or anything...... what are my chances of that?? I hope to hell my I5-6th isn't fried....

50% channce. 50/50 MoBo or Processor without any testing. I usually guess wrong and end up with both new Mobo and Processor :)
I've had better luck and probably should hit Las Vegas....in the last 10 years I've replaced probably 50 m/b's that fail to POST and 0 (zero) CPU's. :cool:

Reaction score
I've had better luck and probably should hit Las Vegas....in the last 10 years I've replaced probably 50 m/b's that fail to POST and 0 (zero) CPU's. :cool:
Just an update 6 weeks later....

That replacement motherboard finally arrived. It actually was a slightly different version of the original board. I put a little dab of Arctic MX5 on that I5-6th, secured the heatsink/fan, and put it back in the HAF case. Added the memory and connected everything again-- fired right up. :)