Threshold and sensitivity for motion detection on the 5442

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately my fairly new BlueIris server is dead (motherboard and proc, possible other things) for reasons not worth getting into. At this time I am not in a position to build a new machine. But I did have 11 SSS licenses not being used from my previous system. And so I moved yesterday 8 of my cameras (all 5442s) to SSS running on a DS1019+. It seems to be doing alright, or at least it has to for a short period of time. The issue is that I have the 5442s doing motion detection now. I set the threshold to 5 and sensitivity to 70 and I'm getting a million false positives. I had to mute my phone because it was that bad. First there were rain drops, then small bugs, and many where I could not distinguish any changes. And we're talking about 2 cloudy days, no sun, and a night. So I can't even blame the sun for it. I know I should play with them and I will, but is anyone using the cameras for motion detection and if so, what values are you using more successfully?

Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to turn off Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection. Unless you want all those false triggers LOL. You will not wipe them all out with sensitivity settings.

Use the AI in the camera instead.

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

This will eliminate your false triggers.

I repeat, make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You'll also have to go into SS and, under IP Camera -> <each camera> -> Event Detection -> Advanced Events (IVS), enable Tripwire and/or Intrusion for Enable on Surveillance Station and/or Trigger Motion Event, as-desired. Then, under Notification -> Rules, check Advanced event detected (if you want) and, finally, also under Notification -> Rules, Edit Schedule (drop-down), then either Edit or Edit Batch to check/set the notification scheduling.

They don't make it easy :rofl:

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This will eliminate your false triggers.
They don't make it easy
Thank you both very much for all this info. It is tremendously helpful. I've applied it across all my cameras and just did a couple of running laps in the rain around my house. Half of the cameras triggered advanced events and I got the notification on my phone and half of them did not. They are all configured the same, as per your recommendations. The thing is that a couple of them show them as events on the timeline in the DS app, but no notification was triggered. So I removed the Object filter and they seemed to pick me up a bit better, still a couple of passes didn't pick me up. On each test some pick me up, some do not, it's inconsistent. So just to be certain, here's what I did:

• smart plan - IVS
  • new intrusion rule: drew the rule, max size 8191*0191, min size 0*0, Action: appears and cross both checked, direction enters&exits, no object filter, no record, no send email, snapshot checked (I assume that these can all be unchecked, I'm recording 24x7 from SSS)
  • Global IVS setup left everything default
  • all other things are off (face detection, people counting, heat map etc)
  • then in SSS, I went to each camera > event detection > Advanced Event (IVS) and checked the boxes for Intrusion on both the Enable on Surveillance Station and Trigger Motion Event columns (nothing else is checked).
  • finally, I went to Notification > and checked the box for Advanced event detected and Motion Detected in the Mobile column. Everything is selected by default in the Email column but not being used
  • there;s no schedule, everything is blue for on all the time.

At this point I don't know what else to do. The boxes for the intrusion are in a few spots along the edges of the screen, so I get how it's hard to catch something when it crosses the line. That's why tripwire may not work as well in these conditions. But doesn't "appears" account for that?

I feel like my old Reolink cameras on SSS with SSS doing the detection were working better. There has to be some way to get $2,000 worth of cams and a $1,000 Synology to work together until I build another BI server. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can't speak to your Synology system, but a couple of screenshots showing your field of view and IVS lines are usually helpful.

Biggest mistake people make are drawing IVS lines right up against the edge of the frame - the camera needs time to identify the object and determine if vehicle or person and then compare to IVS, so tripwires usually struggle, especially at night when there isn't much light.

Also, keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing shows if you try to run these cameras at 30fps and high bitrates that you will max out the CPU in the camera and then the camera bugs out just long enough that you miss something. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of cameras - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but you are running the CPU higher. Surprised you haven't ran into issues, or maybe you have but unaware...

Look at all the threads where people came here with a jitter in the video or IVS missing motion and they were running 30FPS and when people tell them to drop the FPS and they dropped the FPS to 15FPS the camera became stable. YMMV

So if you are running a faster FPS, try 15 FPS.

If it is missing you, then the global config is how you calibrate the distance measuring for your field of view. It requires taking a known measurement object, like a yard stick, and placing it in 3 different areas vertically and one horizontal to calibrate measurements.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I dunno, @tech191, it looks like you checked all the boxes.

What I did, in figuring it all out, was made certain motion detection was disabled in the cameras so the only recording happened when there was tripwire or intrusion detection. Then, if recordings happened but notifications did not, I knew the issue was with Synology SS' notification stuff.

TBH: IME Synology Surveillance Station ain't that great. I'm only using it because I already had the Synology NAS for another purpose; didn't want a dedicated, brand-specific NVR; didn't want to have to support an MS-Win box just for this purpose, and there are no capable Linux-based NVRs on the market.

E.g.: DS Cam does not do well remaining connected to the SS. If your phone is on a WiFi connection and you step outside the house, to outside a maintainable WiFi connection so the phone switches to a cellular connection, DS Cam will often lose its connection to the SS and not get it back right away--or perhaps ever, w/o manual intervention. Work-around for testing is to turn off WiFi, make sure DS Cam is connected to the SS, then do your walk-around. (N.B.: For me: Viewing video on DS Cam while on a cellular connection to be unusable. It ain't my phone. It ain't my Internet connection. It ain't my mobile carrier.)

If your old Reolink cams using SS' event detection worked better, why not use SS' event detection with your Dahua cams?

So if you are running a faster FPS, try 15 FPS.
Personally, I've found 12 FPS to be sufficient to render lifelike movement. Heck, it's usually even enough to capture decent frames when birds fly up and hover in front of cameras, checking them out :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I've found 12 FPS to be sufficient to render lifelike movement. Heck, it's usually even enough to capture decent frames when birds fly up and hover in front of cameras, checking them out :)
Absolutely - most of mine are at 12 FPS.

I love when folks come here (or even my neighbors) wanting 30 or 60 FPS. Movies on the big screen are shot at 24 FPS, so I don't think we need 30 or 60 FPS for our tablets, phones, and computer screens LOL. 12-15 FPS is sufficient for surveillance cameras.

If you have a camera that is like a backyard and no vehicles LOL, 8-10 FPS is probably sufficient. The police do not care to see a smooth video, they want to be able to get a clean image and shutter plays a much bigger role in that than FPS. My neighbor with his 2.8mm 4k cam at 60FPS is like look how smooth this video is and I am like yeah and even at 60FPS, you have auto shutter going so it is still a blur and not much use to identify lol.

This is a little dated, but still relevant.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The big problem is, besides the frame rate they want, is the megapixels they want without having any idea that becomes meaningless in a cheap camera with a 1/3" sensor and low powered CPU.

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running them at 15fps. I have 4APs outside of my house, on either side, so reception is not an issue. I've adjusted the intrusion boxes to give them a bit more space away from the edge. And finally, I've just finished following the calibration from the Global Setup tab that looney2ns was recommending in an older thread and seemed to help others: DahuaWiki. My neighbors probably though I was nuts walking around with brooms stuck in comes with tape marking 1m. We'll see how it goes next. But I don't think that there's anything more I can do. Thank you all for your help! I hope it won't be too long until I can build another server and go back to not having any of these issues!