Thinking of going Dahua now...Help!.. need to pick cameras for the new house but there are so many options.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is totally up to you. Most use a junction box, but some do not and just shove it all in the wall, but the whole is usually larger then. As long as the connection is waterproofed is the bigger deal.

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is totally up to you. Most use a junction box, but some do not and just shove it all in the wall, but the whole is usually larger then. As long as the connection is waterproofed is the bigger deal.
What is the junction box for? We are just planning on mounting the turrets to the underside of the roof as you can see in the renderings. What is the purpose of the mounts?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the junction box for? We are just planning on mounting the turrets to the underside of the roof as you can see in the renderings. What is the purpose of the mounts?
It will house the pigtail and extra length of cable if need be, if this can't be shoved back in the wall or soffet

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Go with junction boxes for sure, cleaner installation and gives you options for quick change of cameras in the future. I always recommend you get a couple of each junction box you need, then should you upgrade the cam(s) in the future (and assuming same junction box mounting requirements) you can pre mount the new cam to the spare junction box faceplate on the ground and switch cams out on the wall in seconds ;)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can coil the ethernet and the other extraneous cable ends coming off the camera inside the mount box. rathen than having the Audio jack cables and power injector cable and ethernet stuffed through a wall. in some locations you can get away with no mount. I like them to keep strain off the ethernet and a keep a 3-4ft. service loop behind the wall in case some jack ass rips it off the wall. then I dont have to rerun the drop.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Says the guy who thought two was enough and is waiting for number 16 to arrive.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Says the guy who thought two was enough and is waiting for number 16 to arrive.
Yep, you know there are clinics you can attend for that addiction but they generally leave you wanting more ;)

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So two of the cameras are going to be on the side of the house, do I need to purchase the wall mounts or can they just be mounted agains the wall and then turned to face the correct way?

I am assuming the cameras are weather proof?

IMG_8680 copy.jpg

I am referring to these wall mounts:
s-l1600.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
So two of the cameras are going to be on the side of the house, do I need to purchase the wall mounts or can they just be mounted agains the wall and then turned to face the correct way?

I am assuming the cameras are weather proof?

View attachment 84812

I am referring to these wall mounts:
View attachment 84813
It really is your choice although as you've heard from a number of us, junction boxes are the way that most of us like to go due to the benefits and options it gives you. Yes cams are weatherproof

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It really is your choice although as you've heard from a number of us, junction boxes are the way that most of us like to go due to the benefits and options it gives you. Yes cams are weatherproof
Sorry, I get that and it makes sense for the ones mounted on the Soffit; however, the image above they are going to be mounted vertically against the wall - I am assuming we need the wall mount to ensure they remain horizontal (the correct way up).

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, I get that and it makes sense for the ones mounted on the Soffit; however, the image above they are going to be mounted vertically against the wall - I am assuming we need the wall mount to ensure they remain horizontal (the correct way up).
No, you can mount these direct and adjust the head / face of the camera accordingly. Either way, would still recommend a junction box personally

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's easier to swap camera's once a sturdy wall mount is in place. you dont have to fish wire out of the wall to unplug it, or remove the wall anchor screws. just remove the camera, unplug it and put a different one up. Much cleaner for service.
When camera technology moves forward, and you decide to upgrade, you might be glad you did wall mounts.