The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess these folks don't realize their face is being stored somewhere else and stealing the cloud-based camera is basically useless installing somewhere else as Ring could simply prevent the camera from being associated to a new account, but even more importantly, it would identify who now has it (and either stole it or sold it). Not that the police in many areas would do anything about it though...

1652925562218.png

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It cracks me up the people always post images when the people are looking away from the camera. Perhaps it's the best image they can come up with, but do they really think anyone can identify someone from the back or side of their head?

Reaction score
It cracks me up the people always post images when the people are looking away from the camera. Perhaps it's the best image they can come up with, but do they really think anyone can identify someone from the back or side of their head?
In all fairness, the perp supposedly walked backwards towards the cam and reached around and tried to open the front door. He was trying to keep his face away from the cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sure hope someone recognizes this door checker.

1653926083340.png

And the best comment I have seen on NextDoor so far LOL:

"Camera quality is only as good as the amount of money you’re willing to spend. If someone knows this woman a grainy picture doesn’t matter that much you would still recognize her I would if I knew her."

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sure hope someone recognizes this door checker.

View attachment 129410

And the best comment I have seen on NextDoor so far LOL:

"Camera quality is only as good as the amount of money you’re willing to spend. If someone knows this woman a grainy picture doesn’t matter that much you would still recognize her I would if I knew her."
So, they spend more money on this crap, rather than on something good, right, gotcha. :cool:

Reaction score
Today's Nextdoor is someone driving up and stealing ferns of all things...

This is a Lorex system, but it shows how the wide-angle 2.8mm lens gives you a great overview, but not much detail beyond 10 feet.

In all seriousness, what would you do instead to change this setup?

Reaction score
This is another one from Nextdoor in my area. Granted these are screen grabs from Nextdoor, and probably the original versions would be better quality. But this is what the OP is showing and asking for help in identifying the perp. Ring cam mounted way too high and very wide angle. Trying to do too much with one cam.

ring 5-29-22a.JPG Full view as posted on Nextdoor.

ring 5-29-22.JPG OP posted this zoomed in shot hoping someone knows who this is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@jumpinghippo1 - As @sebastiantombs suggested, the 5442-ZE or 5442-Z4E optically zoomed in to the pinch point is what is needed.

That poster had a wide angle probably 2.8mm which is a good overview camera. They would need to add a varifocal to IDENTIFY someone coming up the steps OR a 2.8mm a lot closer to the door.