The channel doesnt exist

melroo

n3wb
Reaction score
Got CCTV set up by a guy who is no longer in business. Somewhere along the way, it seems my cameras are likely not working - could be due to a change in router?!? I know nothing about the set up, trying to learn and play around to no avail.
Problem 1: Had the app downloaded on the ipad and could view/playback etc. Now i have nothing. See attached. When I click + to add device, the devices are listed, i pick any of the cameras and get 'this channel doesnt exist'. The fact that the cameras are still in the list to add might be good at least??

Problem 2: Live view is also on my tv, however, only 2 out of four show. The ones that do not show just show 'offline'. Ive gone to attic to check the connection - all seems ok - and i have also gone out and up with the ladder and double checked the connection, again all seems ok.

As i was not the person who set it up, i tired to go to the main device in the attic and hook it up to my laptop, but not having any luck from there.

At this rate i do not even know if my devices are working properly and recording, and directly across the road from me got a break in last week, so if i cant get the system back working I am on the verge of getting a whole new set up for a few thousand euro.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

camera error.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

You did not state the model number but assuming it's LTD8304T-ET as shown at the bottom of the screen, the specs here states that this supports 4 analog cameras or 1 IP camera.

Since you mentioned that you originally had 4 cams, then I'm also assuming you have 4 analog cams connected. Therefore I doubt that a router change would affect why you only see 2 on the TV...I'm thinking although you checked connections, 1 or more connections or cables have failed.

You should have a pigtail on each cam with a BNC connection and one on the back of the DVR, 1 for each cam for a total of 4. There should also be a connection for 12VDC at each camera and likely a 1-to-4 splitter that distubutes the single 12VDC output on the back of the DVR to the 4 cameras....more connections to check.

Check for corrosion and oxidation on all connections and nibbling on the cables by squirrels and other rodents that find their way into attics and crawl spaces. They love the soy content in thermoplastic insulation. This is the gospel truth...yesterday I replaced 3 Ethernet cables for 3 cams that were competely chewed into 2 pieces by, most likely, squirrels ('tree rats"). The cables were cheap CCA (copper Clad Aluminum), not solid copper as is highly recommended and were only 4 conductors for Zmodo's non-standard method of powering their older IP cameras called "sPOE" or "Simplified Power Over Ethernet". Standard Ethernet cables contain 8 conductors, not 4, so it made the task easier for the squirrels.

Ideally, take down one, good working camera and with a short BNC/12VDC twin cable (often called "siameze" because the 2 are bound together in manufacturing), plug it into a working BNC ("channel") on the back of the DVR and observe the results. The intent is to insure all 4 inputs to the DVR are working befire assuming that it's the connections.

You should be able to tell if a camera has 12VDC running to it by covering the lens completely (activating a photo-sensitive sensor) and peeking under your cupped hands to see if there's a red glow from the IR LEDs for night vision. You will also likely hear a click when the IR cut filter moves out of the way to allow IR into the image sensor when you make it dark by covering the lens.

Last edited: