The Area of Interest's "Edit..." button is grayed out for some cameras

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know why this happens? I can't see any rhyme nor reason for why it's grayed out for some cameras but not others. I wanted to try the feature, but it's grayed out on the camera I want. About half of them have it and the other half don't.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.11.56 AM.png vs. Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.12.11 AM.png

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are they USB cams?
They're IP cameras. I found later today that cameras that have AOI grayed out also have "Anamorphic" checked and grayed out. Anamorphic cameras don't support AOI, it seems. So I guess the question is why anamorphic is forced for some cameras. Actually, even the cameras with "Anamorphic" unchecked have it grayed out so you can't change it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 11.07.01 PM.png

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems these "anamorphic" forced cameras may be cameras where the main stream and the sub stream have different aspect ratios, and Blue Iris forces the sub stream to change its aspect ratio to the main stream's ratio. (Except it's forced for some cameras where they are the same aspect ratio, so I'm not 100%.) Which would make sense why it's forcing Anamorphic, and why Area of Interest would be hard to determine from the user's selection (which is based on the sub stream). Hard, but not impossible, but that's probably the reasoning.

I tried modifying my camera settings to change the size from D1 (stretched) to VGA (correct aspect ratio) for the sub stream, but despite being the same height, VGA is actually blurrier than D1. So I'd have to choose between using Area of Interest or having my motion detection be less accurate due to a blurrier sub stream.

Mystery solved.

Reaction score
Understand that this is an older thread, but I was working with the AOI (Area of Interest) feature and I may have figured this one out... Here's the step-by-step of how I did it for everyone's collective benefit:
a) Clone the camera you seek to define the AOI on.
b) On the cloned camera settings, delete all the streams, except for the main stream (do this on the Video tab ---> click on Configure --> change the Sub stream to "none", leaving everything else alone.
c) Click ok and then ok again. The cloned camera will restart/reboot.
d) Now get onto the settings of the cloned camera once again and onto the Video tab. This time around the AIO will not be greyed out. Check the AOI option and click on EDIT to set the AIO you need/want.
e) Once you are happy with your AOI, then click ok twice and you'll be all set.
Note: you will not be able to further edit / change the AOI from there onwards, as it will be greyed out again. If you want/need to tweak the AOI again, you'll need to re-clone the camera and start over (which is not a big deal as the process is quite simple).
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Folks, further to my previous post (above), I just learned that one can edit the AOI setting without re-cloning the camera at hand... The steps are as follows:
Go to the cloned camera settings and re-introduce the sub stream. Click ok twice and let the cloned camera reboot/restart. Then, re-do the steps "a" through "e" above. It seems that every time one has a sub stream active on a cloned camera configuration, and one deletes (i.e. sets to "none") the sub stream, solely leaving the main stream active, one re-sets/turn-on the AOI option and one has the possibility to therefore re-set the AOI entirely.
Further, once the cloned camera with the desired AOI setting is active on BI, it appears that one can zoom on the cloned camera solely using the mouse wheel (independently of zooming the camera that was the source for cloning). I am doing further testing on this to determine if the zooming of the cloned camera (with specific AOI) can be used for my specific LPR needs...
Hope these findings are helpful to this wondering community! :)