Test Product for Amcrest

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems the test
IP8M-2493EW-V2 is running the following firmware:
Software VersionV2.800.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2020-12-30

That I reviewed has died. I can ping the camera and I can browse to it, but the log in button does not work and my p/w is no longer "*" out. Amcrest IP config does see the camera and can read the model, but it reports the camera as offline after logging in. I have a clip that shows the video working, then loss of signal, then back on, the loss again, then back on, then gone.

Can we ssh or telnet to these cameras, if so maybe I could restart it

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then i call their tech support and she says I need to climb up there and do a hard reset and then make sure you use their form because she can't give me the ticket number on the phone. I have to use the form. I have 5 amcrest cams and really like their product, but if this is support maybe I need to go with another brand.

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After I explained my issue, they could have created a ticket and provided the ticket number. Instead, they asked me to hang up and then go fill out the form with the same information I provided to the support person on the call. This is not good customer service, you should have multiple ways into the customer support. Some will use a form, others an email, and some phone calls. Then using your service call center ticket system you bring all issues into one ticket system where you can track items like first call resolution, response time vs resolution time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After I explained my issue, they could have created a ticket and provided the ticket number. Instead, they asked me to hang up and then go fill out the form with the same information I provided to the support person on the call. This is not good customer service, you should have multiple ways into the customer support. Some will use a form, others an email, and some phone calls. Then using your service call center ticket system you bring all issues into one ticket system where you can track items like first call resolution, response time vs resolution time.
I'm not defending them but apparently their choice was to use a form: it creates a written record with a unique number that they and you can track and you can print to enclose with a returned camera. This type of RMA practice had been in place and used successfully for many years...even before the Internet.

That's not to say that after jumping through their hoop(s), if they take an unreasonable amount of time to address your issue that I would not be right there up front, complaining.

FWIW, I also won't bore you with what I've been through with AT&T Fixed Wireless the last month+ since a wind and lightning storm rolled through here on May 4th. Suffice it to say one of the reasons why I'm a free man today is because I am unable to reach through the phone and grab any of the half dozen customer service reps by the throat...

I'm tethered to my phone's hotspot as I type. :banghead:

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WOW, sorry to hear that. I understand the form provides a good way to track it. But in the backend I would guess with 80% confidence that the form creates an email that goes to their service desk application that then creates a ticket with the needed info captured. This could have been done by someone using the ticket system and creating a new ticket. I am going to try their suggestions as if it works then I am all for it. I am attempting to restart the device through the web (i seem to be able to get into the device if I first attempt it through the ip config and then go to the web page.) strange. if reboot does not work I will do the hard reset they suggested (up the ladder) and then go from there.

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I had some free time while working from home and was able to get the camera to reboot. This resolved the issue. This does bring up another question, but I think I should start another thread as its completely different.