Temp/Portable desktop/shelftop WiFi/PLA camera solutions ?

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We want to get 3 cameras that can be easily moved around our house. Most locations do not have easy ethernet access so I think either WiFi or Powerline (AV2). Our WiFi network is fairly robust (Five Unify Nano's, one Nano-HD and one AP-AC-Pro) but I think I'd prefer to avoid WiFi if possible? How well do Powerline adapters work?

Is anyone aware of a good one that also has POE (just to make life easier and avoid an additional wart or POE injector)?

Am I correct that all AV2 compatible PLA's support multiple PLA's (not just one to one) so if I get 4 then 3 for cameras and 1 for the ethernet switch should work? E.G., I don't need to get 3 pair?

Any recommendations for good desktop/shelftop cameras and how best to get them back to the NVR is appreciated.

Current system is Security Spy w/ 13 Dahua exterior cameras from Andy. The cameras are all on a dedicated UI Switch and we'll likely add more cameras as we figure out what our needs are.

Thanks,

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Comtrend & NexusLink (same company I think) make a PLA that gets good reviews and has PoE. They use the G.hn standard instead of AV2. I got 3 Comtrend 9172POE's and have had them running for 3 days w/ one connected to the switch and 2 w/ cameras (Loryta IPC-T3241T-ZAS from Andy). Overall better performance and reliability than AV2 based PLA's.

Security Spy indicates about 98% up time for these. I've tried them on various outlets around our house with similar results on all outlets. Statistically I should have, at least a couple of times, had cameras on a different phase than the one connected to the switch and so far no indication of lessor performance.

These have a fair bit of config options (It'd be nice if they were Ubiquity products and could be adopted, monitored and managed w/ UniFi) that I've yet to play with. No idea if this will allow for any improved performance. Sometime in the next few days I'll hopefully do some throughput tests w/ them.

Now to figure out a good desktop/shelftop camera.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out, maybe post some pics and solutions so other members who may want to do the same thing can learn from how you got it to work. I do not use any cameras inside so i can't be much help. But i would like to see the outcome. Good luck!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Just noticed a few Dahua OEM cameras that look like deals at Q-see

1) 4 PACK 1080P SMART HOME WI-FI OUTDOOR BEACON CAMERAS - (QCW2MPSL-4)
4 pack right now

Specs on website lists this:

Resolution: 1080P (1920x1080)
Frame Rate: up to 30 FPS
Memory Slot: Micro SD up to 128GB
Cloud Storage: Cloud Storage available with CURRENT SUBSCRIPTION ONLY (AVAILABLE NOW THROUGH MARCH 2021) to store motion alerts for maximum protection (up to 30 days of coverage,

Two Way Talk: Yes
Audio Recording: Yes
Siren: 110-118dB
Max Night Vision Distance: 32.5ft
Field of View: 135º
Lens Size: 2.8mm Fixed Lense
Digital Zoom: 16x
Video Compression: H.265/H.264
Wifi: 802.11b/g/n
Max. User Access: 20
Weather Resistance: IP65 Rated
Compatibility: QC Wi-Fi NVR / QC IP HD NVR; ONVIF, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT ( note, pdf spec sheet does not list this.. )
Power Supply: DC5V Power
Remote Viewing: Q-See Plus App (available for iOS and Android)

Spec Sheet

May take someone to confirm the ability to get an rtsp stream configured on this one.

Q-see unboxing video

2) 4K ULTRA HD SMART HOME WI-FI WHITE CUBE CAMERA - 2 PACK (QCW4K1MCW-2)

Note - listed to work with Q-see Dahua OEM NVR.. thus should have a rtsp feed

spec sheet

Try to see if you can get another 15% off with this code: QSEEWELCOME15
( could be expired.. so double check it )

TundraCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick update. The cameras on the G.hn PLA's have had 100% uptime since I posted above.