T5442T-ZE upgrade install

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Sharing some pics from my install at buddies today. We upgraded 7 cams too Andy’s new IPC-T5442T-ZE’s from the old 5321’s . House also got a upgrade for siding and soffit. Shop has a DH-IPC-PDBW5831N-B360 inside. Cams still need to be tweaked yet, but overall happy with the setup. Thanks Andy and all the great people here at ipcamtalk. 5C010390-9441-472B-8013-1E0E5359F45E.jpegView attachment 101646View attachment 101648

Last edited:

CAL7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How well are the direct-to-soffit installations holding up? They look aluminum to me. I'm going to be doing the same thing in a few days and I'm a little concerned about the durability of mounting to the soffit.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How well are the direct-to-soffit installations holding up? They look aluminum to me. I'm going to be doing the same thing in a few days and I'm a little concerned about the durability of mounting to the soffit.
I have 3 Dahua turret cams mounted directly to vinyl soffits w/o any other reinforcing, and do not have any issues for 6+ years. There is some extra wood bracing spaced at various intervals to support the soffit, but the cams are not screwed to the bracing. Been through numerous tropical storms/hurricanes. My overhang is extra wide at 3', so that would make things even worse.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
The vertical soffit ends at the front of house are a thicker gauge aluminum which makes it more rigid. The soffit at sides of house are a more flimsy aluminum, but I got lucky and managed to get a couple screws into a nearby rafter. On other installs I have taken soffit apart and reinforced underneath with wood because otherwise it sags and shakes in the wind too much. I Am thinking about pre cutting some 1/8 - 3/16 thick x 4” wide aluminum flat bar to have on hand in these situations. I would probably have to cut them to exact length and drill the 7/8 hole once I’m on site. I also find that the older soffit from years ago to be thicker than the cheaper soda can crap they use now.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
soffit mount.jpg

I use 2"x1/8" with "wings" to support the cameras. If you do this, wash the aluminum with dish soap and a ScotchBrite. Then give it two coasts of aluminum primer and it takes 24 hours for the aluminum primer to fully cure between coats. Then two coats of finish paint with dry time for each coat of that as well.

If the soffit is like the one in your photos you can located the camera so the cable stub can be routed in a groove of the soffit. You'll probably need to cut a notch in the top edge of the channel mounted to the house for cable clearance. No holes in the house using this method.

Last edited: