T-Mobile 5G Home Internet AND Blue Iris

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Waiting until T-Mobile can get their customers an externally accessible IPv4 or IPv6 for VPN access. Once that happens, I'll be signing up.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath for them to make it easy. You can set up and use VPN right now if you know how, or the right person to ask. :p

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath for them to make it easy. You can set up and use VPN right now if you know how, or the right person to ask. :p
I'm aware but they don't give me the flexibility I would really like.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, any updates on how to use BI with TM home internet? How are you supposed to get mobile alerts and access to BI when you're away from home?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good experiences with it so far. Fast speeds, no disconnects, and no having to reboot the trash can. Others have had the exact opposite (I keep close tabs on the Reddit site). My SIL has asked about it a few times and I just tell him what I tell anyone else. There is a 15 day no questions asked refund time. Get it, try it. If it's fast and does what you want, then great. If its crap for you, it's only cost you your time (and seriously, it won't cost you all that much time to know).

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So, any updates on how to use BI with TM home internet? How are you supposed to get mobile alerts and access to BI when you're away from home?
Somehow I didn't read your post. Read the post by @bp2008 as he got it going for me, and it's been 100% good since then.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A few people have asked me how to set up ZeroTier to access Blue Iris after reading about it here. For those who like to learn from youtube, here is a video that explains it.

But here are much shorter written instructions.

1. Go to ZeroTier – Global Area Networking and sign up for an account.
2. In the ZeroTier management web app (ZeroTier Central), create a private ZeroTier network (if it didn't create one for you automatically). Keep this page open, you will need to authorize your devices from this web site.
3. Install ZeroTier's Windows client on the Blue Iris machine, and join it to the network ID from step 2.
4. In the ZeroTier network manager web app, open your network and scroll down to the Members section. Check the checkbox under "Auth?" for each device that you added to the network.

1648734927326.png ---- 1648734918893.png

Then you can set a name and description and view the Managed IPs it assigned.

5. Install ZeroTier clients on any device you want to connect to Blue Iris from (e.g. your phones, tablets, laptops, etc). Join them to the same network ID. Authorize via the web app as you did before.

Once all that is done, you can connect to your Blue Iris server via the ZeroTier network by using the Managed IP that was assigned by ZeroTier to your Blue Iris computer.

6. Ensure that Bind exclusively is NOT checked in Blue Iris Settings > Web server.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Man, what am I doing wrong? I have followed this as far as I know, but I still can't get it to go to my mobile device. Are there any settings on ZeroTier that I need to change, like default router override or settings like this? Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got some advice from Alaska Country, and it led me in the right direction. He sent me a video, which was a little different than what I needed, but it got me going in the right direction to make it work. Nothing any different than others have said in different places, he just made more sense for what I was trying to accomplish.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it working. My download has been consistent in the mid 6xx to lower 7xx range. My upload has "only" been in the 30s range all summer (leaves on the trees, don't you know). With fall, it's been slowly creeping back up as the leaves fall, waiting for a killer frost to really jump back up (hopefully). Regardless, it's been a game changer for me...

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, his is not nearly that good, because he lives in a very rural area, but it is still very good compared to nothing. It is not as fast as his Verizon Jetpack was, because he lives 1/2 mile away from a Verizon tower, but with Jetpacks he ran out of data within a couple of days. Now, he can actually not have to worry about running out.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just a heads up for people here that have it... New update on the Trashcan firmware rolled out and hit here last night (0324). Like many others, my download dropped way down. Cold booting the modem has fixed it for everyone that's done it (so far). So all good, just waiting to see what changes the firmware made.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just about 1 year in. This all depends on where you are, so don't blame me if you don't get my results. Hopefully I don't end up jinxing myself here because I have nothing but good to say about T-Mobile and with my experience with it this past year...

1668688462237.png

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It may be fast, but it sucks for trying to get things to work with it. If I had a choice, and all prices were the same for the same speed, it would not be TM.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hah! It is fast. I have the patience to make everything work with it. I don't have a choice. Not only are the prices NOT the same for the same speed, I can't even get speed remotely close with anything else...