System Design and questions

71SCAMP

n3wb
Reaction score
I just discovered this site and I'm hoping that I'm among kindred spirits. I’m hoping that I have found my ideal configuration. Following the rule that the best security is physical security this is where I’m headed. Four HD-POE (4k?) Cameras fed through my Cisco POE switch and Blue Iris (V4) connected to a separate PC which has a connected 8TB RAID 10 NAS. All of the equipment except the cameras is hidden very well in a steel walled, secured room. I will access the ‘video’ PC from my desktop PC through a second NIC. My desktop is connected to my, home network, cable router with a switch fed by a Wattstopper ‘Isole motion controlled surge suppressor plug-strip. This ensures that my PC is not connected to the web, unless I’m sitting at it. Thus my cameras and HD recording setup are not accessible unless I’m sitting at my desk (with traffic indication running). I have the secure room. I’ve already routed my PC through the ‘Isole along with my three monitors, so my monitors are off and my PC isolated from the web unless I’m sitting at my desk. Note: My HP printer doesn’t appreciate having its power cut, so I turn it off when I leave my office and back on before I print. To provide remote access I intend to also add a Samsung four HD camera set up to watch the perimeter. I expect this to elicit responses, so here is my question, what did I miss or forget? Any recommendations for cameras, outside, inside and pinhole would be appreciated.

Thanks,
71Scamp

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..forget about 4k..you will have horrible low light and night images unless you are ready to spend serious cash. See @nayr's review of the dahua 1080p starlight turret camera.

71SCAMP

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..forget about 4k..you will have horrible low light and night images unless you are ready to spend serious cash. See @nayr's review of the dahua 1080p starlight turret camera.
I forgot to mention the 10,000 lumen LED floods on motion sensors (driveway and rear yard). I suspect that covers the low light question. I would really like to be able to read license plates and get decent facial recognition, if possible. I do appreciate the info, I will read that review right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention the 10,000 lumen LED floods on motion sensors (driveway and rear yard). I suspect that covers the low light question. I would really like to be able to read license plates and get decent facial recognition, if possible. I do appreciate the info, I will read that review right now.
Not necessarily...motion activated lights would cause you to miss a few seconds of video as the camera adjusts...license plate recognition requires a dedicated camera with specific exposure settings..there are many threads discussing this...higher resolution is not always better often times it makes things much worse...