Supply line issues.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy, If I were to place an order in the very near future what type of guarantee is there I would receive product in a timely manner? In other words, what are the problems if any you are experiencing with the supply and shipping of your product. ---Greg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since he ships by plane, you get very quickly. And if you order from Amazon you can see before you order when you will get it, or if it is in stock at Amazon and you order direct from Andy, he can have it sent from Amazon.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
About 2 months ago i ordered an NVR and 4 cams from Andy. He split this up into 3 parcels and give me the FedEx tracking numbers so i could see where they were at all times. All parcels arrived well packaged and in good order within a week.

Shortly after this he had a promotional sale and i ordered another 4 cameras. Again flawless delivery.

For reference I'm in the UK

Don't worry he's a professional lol

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just check with Andy for his inventory/availability before you place any order. As others have said, if it's available on Amazon, that's easy because you can see the availability. For anything not on Amazon, just email him. When Andy has it, you'll get it very quickly. When he doesn't have it, he'll give you an estimate that could be as much as a few months (as happened for one specific model that I wanted). You can then decide whether to wait to order, or (as I did) just place your order and trust Andy to ship (as he always does) as soon as he can.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't doubt he is a professional one bit from all the posts here. I am more concerned about issues out of his control. Like the supply line and shipping catastrophes we are currently experiencing here in the US. I mean they are talking about 60 container ships anchored off the Cali coast and taking weeks to be unloaded. I am just concerned about making a purchase and then having to wait months to receive it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And like I said he doesn't ship by boat.

If it isn't in an Amazon warehouse in the US, but he has in hand, it will be shipped by air.

I literally purchased two cams from him at the same time, one was in an Amazon warehouse in the US and the other was in China. Both got here two days later...

As others have said, ask him when you order if you don't order by Amazon.

But the sooner you order, the better your chances if all these airline workers quit.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
If I contact Andy directly can he assist in configuring a system or should I pick the forum members brains. My requirements are going to be simple.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy is really good at configuring a system based on your needs.

Feel free to post here your thoughts and we and Andy can chime in as well.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
I am just looking to be able to view the immediate area around my cabin in real time. I am in a remote area, built into a hill with very limited outside access ( few windows) and want to be able to monitor around the building without physically going outside. Probably no more than 4-6 cameras. Don't think I even need to store any video.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you only care about seeing what is out there, but not necessarily be able to IDENTIFY?

If so, it opens up a lot of possibilities, although most of us start that way and then add cameras to be able to IDENTIFY a perp with a clean capture.

Personally, I love the booby cam AKA as IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2 (this is the newest one with AI) or the older model HDBW4231F-E2-M (without AI) as an overview camera. With the right placement and house configuration, you can see two sides of a building with one cam. If the cabin is a perfect square and you can get this camera to face two sides, you could start with two of these.

I would suggest you store video, even if it is just an SD card in the cameras.

And getting cameras from Andy allows you to add and build upon in the future if you decide to do so.

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, probably at least one camera on the front door to identify.

So how do the SD cards work? Constantly record the stream until full and then continues by overwriting? I am totally clueless how these things work. I am a retired IT tech so I know enough electronics to be dangerous. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, you can do continuous with the SD card, but most of us have found the camera struggles then when the card is full. I would recommend recording to the SD card on motion, then you could have weeks or months of footage on it.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I am just looking to be able to view the immediate area around my cabin in real time. I am in a remote area, built into a hill with very limited outside access ( few windows) and want to be able to monitor around the building without physically going outside. Probably no more than 4-6 cameras. Don't think I even need to store any video.
Sounds cool.

Depending on your budget you could have some fixed cameras and maybe a PTZ. With a PTZ you can direct where you want to look instead of having a fixed view and follow wildlife 4 or 2 legged lol. Some members here have them set up to auto track using the fixed cameras as spotters.

How are you fixed for power and internet. Do you need remote access?

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
Cabin is off grid. No internet at this time but hope to get it installed. I was not planning on remote access. I am probably the only person west of the Mississippi that doesn't have a cell phone. :D

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using a generator, batteries, solar, wind or a mixture for power. If using a generator does it run 24/7 when your there. I'm thinking If you turn it off at night when you go to bed to save fuel the cams won't be powered. This is probably the time when you could use a set of eyes outside

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
After reading the WIKI as much as I could absorb I was thinking using the Starlight 2MP varifocal exclusively and just strategically placing them for coverage versus PTZ cameras to cover the area. I like the idea of the large sensor over image sharpness. I want smooth video not a jumpy dropout looking images. I want a wired system. No wireless.
I am looking for good night vision.
The record on motion sounds like a good option. The SDS cards install in the camera and have to be manually replaced when full? I don't quite comprehend how they function.
Generator to charge batteries. Installing solar to assist in charging. Not sure about wind yet. The cabin is still under construction so not sure about power draw and how exactly the cameras will be used. I don't think I will need it 24/7 but until I move in I can't say. Probably shut it down at times to conserve power. ---Greg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SD card will just write over when full, but if it is on motion, the cameras seem to do better at figuring out which files to delete than when it is continuous recording.

The 2MP cams from Andy are a great choice and good compromise between price and picture quality. Ironically, it always seems to be my 2MP varifocals that capture the clean images of perps in my neighborhood.

If you do decide on a PTZ, this is the one to get. Best bang for the buck under $400.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Batteries may well keep things ticking over night. The cameras hooked up to my NVR are drawing on average 5-6watt at night time. If your sizing a battery bank or anything allow 7watt per camera or more for a PTZ when the drives start moving it.

I take your point about the PTZ. While i think a PTZ in your install would be cool realistically you could get 3 very nearly 4 of the fixed cameras your considering for the same price as 1 PTZ. They would also give you better fixed coverage and not ever be looking the wrong way lol.

I think @wittaj has a mixture of 2 and 4mp cameras running at the minute and getting great results from both. He'd be the man to ask about the performance of both in ultra low light

i think we're all with you on the Wi-Fi. It's a last resort only

Last edited:

KF0FOH

n3wb
Reaction score
Your analysis of the 2MP is the reason I was considering them. I read on here somewhere exactly what you said about clean images. What good is a system if the images are not clean.
PTZ is probably not going to happen at least not to start. Money and power draw seem excessive for my needs. If I can see the front door well (identify), down both sides, and out front for maybe 100 feet at night as well as day (duh) I think I should be good.
My next big question is getting the data inside and visible from a central location. Cat5/6 to computer or NVR. What equipment and how to configure?