Suggestions for Overview Camera

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A couple years ago, with help from this forum, I installed several perimeter cameras around the house. The cameras on both sides of the front door are IPC-T5442T-ZE, they are zoomed in at least half way for better images of people walking up to the front door. One negative of being zoomed in that much is that the camera doesn't cover the window closest to it but the cross view kind of sees the area. I considered mounting two more cameras on each side of the portico but the wife strictly forbade it stating she didn't want the house to look like a prison. I already had to promise her that I would paint the housing of the camera to the right of the front door to match the siding so that it wouldn't stick out as much.

My other problem is that I don't get a good view of directly in front of my house; there is the Driveway South cam but with the distance and tree in the way, it is not the best view. I'm considering mounting a 5442 2.8mm under the second floor soffit to cover the area. I would love to hear suggestions of both cameras and discrete mounting locations . Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I like my 2.8 mm Turret 5442 as an overview cam . I have had several tries at diff cams as my LPR overview cam and this one gives me what I need.
I also use the 3241 ZAS as an overview in the front and back yard at home, but They’ve only been up a week.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 5442 in 2.8 (or 3.6) would make a good overview camera. The 5442, with the Dahua PFB204W, is very discreet and unobtrusive compared to most cameras. I have several mounted and once you get about 25 feet back they are hard to even spot without looking for them. My cams are under the eaves.

I would buy one in 2.8 and one in 3.6, trust me you will find a home for them and then you can decide which focal length works best when considering the options.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided on the PFW5849-A180 which I ordered a while ago and finally had a chance to install it today. I'm still need to tweak the mounting and figure out the camera settings but is was a good start.

Attachments

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I decided on the PFW5849-A180 which I ordered a while ago and finally had a chance to install it today. I'm still need to tweak the mounting and figure out the camera settings but is was a good start.
I wish I had somewhere with enough light for the 180 cams, but the places I would want to use it would require IR.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A nice day today so went to clean up the wiring on my PFW5849-A180 overview camera. While doing so I tilted the camera down to get more property and less sky, that resulted in the camera hanging to much below the horizontal beam and seemed visually unappealing to me.

I ended up removing the bulky mount, purchased a water-tight junction box from Home Depot, and mounted the camera directly onto the portico. The before pics are two messages up.

Attachments