Suggestion for good night vision cameras please?

1b1

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that some Black Friday deals are out I was hoping someone could help recommend a high quality PoE video security nvr system with good night vision. Budget around $1000, but I don’t mind spending more if you believe it’s worth it.

I need to upgrade our current LaView 1080p 6 camera system I bought off slickdeals several years ago and does very poor in low light-

First priority is night vision recording quality. We had our car broken into in the middle of the night and couldn’t get a good picture of the guy with our current system even though our camera was 20-30 feet away.

Needs-
6 to 8 cameras
Dome or bullet, Prefer white
Don’t need audio but would be a bonus for a couple cameras
I already have Cat6 ran to each camera.
I don’t have any sensor flood lights, maybe I should get one for better quality night rewording.

I did recently reach out to Lorex with the same question and they recommended these. I know the lens size is important for low light but they don’t list the lens size so I’m not sure what to do and like your option.

Lorex Nocturnal 3 4K 16-Channel 4TB NVR System with Smart IP Bullet Security Cameras with Listen-In Audio and 30FPS

Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:

That particular camera will have very poor night vision performance (4K (8MP) 1/2.8" CMOS) per the mfg specifications.

I recommend you start reading the cliff notes located at the top of the page under the wiki before spending any money. Your budget is too light for what you want to achieve.

Here are two highly regarded low light cams compared, start with learning first but I am adding these to address your request for recommended low light cameras.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sensor size is important for low light...

Lens size is important for IDENTIFY at distance...

Lorex and most all-in-one box kits do not pair the proper MP/sensor ratio and force all the focal length to 2.8mm which is good for identify at about 10 feet.

You would have better night vision with a 2MP camera as that 1/2.8" sensor is great for 2MP and horrible for 4K....

Do a search here for how many started with a similar Lorex and started replacing within the year...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that some Black Friday deals are out I was hoping someone could help recommend a high quality PoE video security nvr system with good night vision. Budget around $1000, but I don’t mind spending more if you believe it’s worth it.

I need to upgrade our current LaView 1080p 6 camera system I bought off slickdeals several years ago and does very poor in low light-

First priority is night vision recording quality. We had our car broken into in the middle of the night and couldn’t get a good picture of the guy with our current system even though our camera was 20-30 feet away.

Needs-
6 to 8 cameras
Dome or bullet, Prefer white
Don’t need audio but would be a bonus for a couple cameras
I already have Cat6 ran to each camera.
I don’t have any sensor flood lights, maybe I should get one for better quality night rewording.

I did recently reach out to Lorex with the same question and they recommended these. I know the lens size is important for low light but they don’t list the lens size so I’m not sure what to do and like your option.

Lorex Nocturnal 3 4K 16-Channel 4TB NVR System with Smart IP Bullet Security Cameras with Listen-In Audio and 30FPS

Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.
Welcome @1b1

I have not seen any Black Friday deals from the usual known by consumers vendors that I like ( i.e. that have larger sensors ) ..

At this time, i would recommend getting the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor cameras from Andy ( EmpireTecAndy here ) .. he's got a few deals out .. and consider a Used PC running Blue Iris and PoE switch .. should be able to reuse the Cat5e cables if they are in good condition from your LaView setup .. remember dielectric gel in the RJ45 boots .. just a little to keep the water out .. I also really like junction boxes ..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could check with the " Hook Up" on You tube he ranks affordable camera's and the night vision, by running across the driveway at night while his neighbors shake their heads.
Before you buy anything PLEASE stop back here with your ideas....

1b1

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Flintstones 5442's look good. Where could I find more information on them?

mat200, thanks for referring me over here from SD’s last year. It’s nice to still see a helpful forum like this and not taken over by facebook groups. I do have an extra old computer running with windows 7. Maybe it would work with blue iris.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
there may be a review in this forum somewhere on the 5442 z4 since it's been out for awhile......

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All flavors -

5442 Reviews

Frogman

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to hijack this thread…

Would there be any alternative suggestions on cameras if one had a more flexible budget?

I’m looking for camera(s) that perform well as per OP’s setting
  • typical residential street (say identifying people approaching the bottom of the drive @ 5metre out to say 25metre distance), with cameras mounted on the first storey eaves (at about 3.5m height)
  • Moderate street lighting but not great
  • can supplement with IR but not willing to light the front of the house up with white light through the night (would look v out of place on the street)

Dahua 5442 series looks to be the main recommendation here, perhaps supplemented by a suitable PTZ camera or 2 in time.

I’m currently running a Swann system but I think the time has come to upgrade to a blue iris approach. Just need to decide on cams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just to hijack this thread…

Would there be any alternative suggestions on cameras if one had a more flexible budget?

I’m looking for camera(s) that perform well as per OP’s setting
  • typical residential street (say identifying people approaching the bottom of the drive @ 5metre out to say 25metre distance), with cameras mounted on the first storey eaves (at about 3.5m height)
  • Moderate street lighting but not great
  • can supplement with IR but not willing to light the front of the house up with white light through the night (would look v out of place on the street)

Dahua 5442 series looks to be the main recommendation here, perhaps supplemented by a suitable PTZ camera or 2 in time.

I’m currently running a Swann system but I think the time has come to upgrade to a blue iris approach. Just need to decide on cams.
Yeah, with your restriction of not wanting to light the front of the house up with white light, you have to toss any camera labeled as 24/7 color out the window. Street light, while good, provided a backlit condition and the face would be black.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. It is two cameras to IDENTIFY someone at 5M and 25M

A PTZ camera is a great compliment to an existing fixed camera setup. Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have to be looking where the action is and a fixed cam that can be used as a spotter to point the PTZ is a great solution.

Take a look at this thread that identifies the most commonly suggested cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY. In some instances, 2MP is the better option. That is where most box kits like your Swann fail is that they put in wide-angle 2.8mm cameras that are realistically only good to IDENTIFY about 10 feet out. The cameras suggested in this thread represent the best value in terms of performance (night and day), proper MP/sensor ratio, and cost.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably or they sell Reolink LOL, but just in case, Reolink is not a good night performing camera.

The CX410 is one such camera suggested. Let's take a look.

While it is on the proper MP/sensor ratio (4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor) with a large f1.0 aperture, at $95 it would be a steal if it worked like other full color cameras.

Sadly, it appears to suffer from the same issues of reolink, which is poor night quality and ghosting, etc. And look how washed out the camera on the right is when the lights kick on.

1685367607118.png

Is missing a leg normal?

Are these captures that could IDENTIFY a person? Looks like the person is close enough that a Dahua could provide IDENTIFY quality.

But it benefits from the light turning on with motion. Wonder if the camera gets momentarily blinded.

1697896087848.png

Here is the unofficial master thread where people have put up their best attempts at night captures of objects in motion with a Reolink. As you will see, this will only tell the police what time something happened.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a good night vision security camera, it must be equipped F1.0 Super Aperture, Featuring an extra-large F1.0 aperture that captures four times more light than an F2.0 aperture, and an advanced 1/1.8'' sensor, delivers nighttime footage with true-to-life color details even in extremely low light environments. Reolink CX410 is a good choice. If you want a spotlight security camera, reolink DUO 3 poe is a proper choice.
Hi @Yucy W Chavez

Why do you say Reolink is a good choice ?

Do you have either ot the Reolink cameras you mention ?