Successful rocket test doesn't mean you get your rocket back in one piece

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure how many space buffs there are here, but yesterday's SpaceX test of SN8 (Starship prototype 8) was awesome.

Here's the full feed from SpaceX but you will have to skip to about 1 hour 48 minutes in for the good stuff (I think it is set to auto-skip):

Beautiful launch and ascent. Picture perfect transition to the unique belly-flop glide configuration. Great fin controlled glide in, two Raptor engines relit on queue, transitioning to tail-down configuration for landing, then one of them flamed out due to low fuel pressure. Rapid uncontrolled disassembly on the landing pad.

It was awesome. SpaceX expected not to get their rocket back and is very pleased with this test flight; they got a huge telemetry package.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Love the banner title at the end, "Awsome Test. Congrats Starship Team!", as the rocket lays in hundreds of pieces.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how many space buffs there are here
I was looking forward to that test for a long time :)

Did plenty of tank-watching via NASASpaceflight live streams the day before and day of the test because I didn't want to miss it. Of course when SpaceX starts broadcasting, their cameras are insane. It is really awesome how they have multiple uninterrupted HD feeds even mounted on the rocket.