Substitutes for port forwarding

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comcast no longer allows me to do port forwarding. I am looking at NGROK but have not yet determined if it can meet all my needs. (It always changes the WAN address on startup unless you pay them not to).
Anyone make any recomendations as to what else I might use?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had good luck with this service: Dynu

My router supports/hosts the VPN server, and dynu keeps track as my WAN IP changes

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious....if you already have the OpenVPN server running on your router what are the pro's and con's of ZeroTier vs the OpenVPN. Best to stick with the OpenVPN? Or does ZeroTier eliminate the need to manually connect OpenVPN let's say when you are away from your local network like at the store?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would think running OpenVPN on my own router would be the best option unless my ISP was employing CGNAT (Carrier Grade NAT / no public IP), then ZeroTier would be the next best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my opinion OpenVPN works better than ZeroTier. I like the amount of control I have over it and its fast. (I'm currently using it with pfSense). However, I was not a huge fan when I used it with my old Asus router. That was quite a few years ago so maybe the interface has changed and been improved.

If Comcast is going to prevent you from opening any ports than a traditional VPN like OpenVPN will not work. If that's the case I would suggest looking into something like Cloudflare Tunnel which does not require any ports to be opened and will work with CGNAT.

I just finished watching this video and it appears to be just as secure as a VPN. Plus you'll be able to access you BI server from any computer or mobile device without having to put VPN software on it.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my opinion OpenVPN works better than ZeroTier. I like the amount of control I have over it and its fast. (I'm currently using it with pfSense). However, I was not a huge fan when I used it with my old Asus router. That was quite a few years ago so maybe the interface has changed and been improved.

If Comcast is going to prevent you from opening any ports than a traditional VPN like OpenVPN will not work. If that's the case I would suggest looking into something like Cloudflare Tunnel which does not require any ports to be opened and will work with CGNAT.

I just finished watching this video and it appears to be just as secure as a VPN. Plus you'll be able to access you BI server from any computer or mobile device without having to put VPN software on it.

Let me ask: Of all the solutions we discussed here which is the easiest to set up and is free?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious....if you already have the OpenVPN server running on your router what are the pro's and con's of ZeroTier vs the OpenVPN. Best to stick with the OpenVPN? Or does ZeroTier eliminate the need to manually connect OpenVPN let's say when you are away from your local network like at the store?
Zerotier allows you to always be connected and none of the data traffic is running through a vpn server slowing it down. You can have openvpn connected all the time and only route your blue iris traffic as well but it takes a bit more setup.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Zerotier allows you to always be connected and none of the data traffic is running through a vpn server slowing it down. You can have openvpn connected all the time and only route your blue iris traffic as well but it takes a bit more setup.
Thanks . DOes anyone know if zerotier will work with the latest comcast modems that do no support port forwarding?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks . DOes anyone know if zerotier will work with the latest comcast modems that do no support port forwarding?
of course. Zerotier does not rely on port forwarding.
That said id be surprised if comcast does not support port forwarding - though its unsafe.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The latests
of course. Zerotier does not rely on port forwarding.
That said id be surprised if comcast does not support port forwarding - though its unsafe.
The latest router requires that the system be connected directly to the modem. Only one sytem can be connected to the mmodem so you can not have a router and a PC connected directly. So if I want only one PC in my house it may work...hmmm

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean you have to have the system directly connected to the modem to do port forwarding for that system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean you have to have the system directly connected to the modem to do port forwarding for that system.
Most of the router/modem combos have a bridge mode which disables the routing function and allows it to act as a modem only. Then you would port forward on your router. That said, its insanely stupid to port forward since zerotier is a much more secure option and once setup just as easy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Zerotier works best with a port forwarded to it. By default tries to use UPnP to forward a port to itself silently in the background, but if UPnP is disabled or otherwise not working, and you haven't manually specified a port number in the zerotier config and forwarded it through your router, then Zerotier should fall back to other forms of tunneling. You might have some connectivity problems (failure to connect or just slow speed) or it may work fine. It is very much on a case-by-case basis.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most of the router/modem combos have a bridge mode which disables the routing function and allows it to act as a modem only. Then you would port forward on your router. That said, its insanely stupid to port forward since zerotier is a much more secure option and once setup just as easy.
Yes I put my former modem in bridge mode to do that. I can not be sure that what I am saying is totally correct because getting to talk to anyone at comcast who knows anything technical is really difficult and frustrating . I spent a lot of time with them .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I put my former modem in bridge mode to do that. I can not be sure that what I am saying is totally correct because getting to talk to anyone at comcast who knows anything technical is really difficult and frustrating . I spent a lot of time with them .
Comcast is the devil incarnate. Try zero tier. I have now used it in 3 locations and it works wonderfully.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comcast is the devil incarnate. Try zero tier. I have now used it in 3 locations and it works wonderfully.
Tell me about it. Comcast will not work with Netgear or anyone else to get there modems listed as acceptable to use with comcast. Even though these products have all they need to support Comcast. ( I talked with Netgear) Also their 4K wireless boxes will not work with any other modems because Comcast wont let them.

I also have to check my bill evertime I make a change to my package since Comcast alsways tries to overcharge me.