Stumped getting ready to install Ring Retrofit device

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My new (to me) house has an old Magnum Alert 1000e hardwired installation. Since Ring recently came out with this Retrofit device, and my Magnum system is set up with a number of zones that will work with the Retro, I decided to get it. Should have it tomorrow.

In the meantime I’ve set up a five piece Ring Gen 2 system, since I’ve been very happy with the Gen 1 in my other house. I started disconnecting and tagging the wires from the Magnum control box today (taking pictures before touching anything!), and here’s where I’m stumped. If I read the manual properly, Magnum is supposed to use normally closed, resistance terminated sensor contacts, with multiple contacts being wired in series for any given zone. The termination is supposed to be 2.2KOhms. I disconnected one Zone, both signal and return lines, and measured the resistance. It did not read 2.2KOhms. It read close to a dead short. I’m not certain of the exact value because I had to borrow my friend’s DMM and it kept fluttering - although when I touched the probes together the DMM read 0. My Fluke is out of reach at my other house.

So my question is - will this be a problem for the Retrofit device? I think it expects normally closed contacts, so at least that part is okay, but will it work if it looks like a short (or close to it)?

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, that was relatively easy. I have one Zone not working but I think that’s because I may have mislabeled the Common for that zone. That circuit doesn’t open up when a contact is opened. I’ll hunt it down tomorrow. I even got the motion sensors working by letting the old Magnum system supply power to those. I tested them in Ring and the signal is visible in Test a Mode when the sensors pick up motion. So far I’m pleased.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I just installed the ring gen 2 and it's awesome. Ring doorbell pro also. Hope it all keeps working cause I like it a ton. I put a motion sensor in the glove compartment in the car too. Open the glove compartment and get an alert. Sweet. Gonna get the mailbox sensor too but that's new and I want to see some reviews on that. My mailbox is just far enough away to be a pain to go out for nothing and close enough I think to stay connected to a bridge. We'll see.