Strong Enough Computer

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys I found a deal on a computer. Currently the house will have 7 cameras. Will this computer support another 6-9 cameras for when I add the garage to the system? Here are the specs.

Thanks,
Magna

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

• Processor: 10th Generation Intel Core i3-10100 processor

• Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory(1 x 8 GB)

• Internal Storage: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive

• Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Mouse and keyboard: USB black wired keyboard and mouse combo

• Optical drive: DVD-Writer

USB ports: 8 (4 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate, 4 USB 2.0)

• Wireless: Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo, MU-MIMO supported

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
That answer depends on things like camera resolution, networking etc. Start here - lots of good info:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not enough memory for 15 cameras you may need to run deep stack.
The disk drive is useless. It will need at least 250 GB SSD. And a wd purple surveillance drive for video.
Wireless is also useless.
The dvd is also useless.

Look on eBay for a used business desktop computer. An I7 6th generation or better computer.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
double the Ram,
What is the 1TB hard drive? Some of the prebuilt systems have Hokey hard drives.
Somewhere in here I read that Windows 10 pro gives you more control over automatic updates?
For the money, You be fine with a used HP Elitedesk running an i7-6700 or newer.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get by just fine with a well used eBay special. You will want more HD space by far for video storage. My "new" computer, that I bought a couple of months ago, is an i7-6700 from eBay fro $330. It came with a 1TB HD which I replaced with a 400 GB SSD, which made it MUCH faster to boot and run. Then add WD Purple drives for video storage. The one @Flintstone61 linked is pretty much what you need. 16 GB ram is the sweet spot for BI especially if you run DeepStack or license plate readers.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
PC hardware really doesn't break, it usually gets killed by lightning, or power surges or overheating from failed Fans.
All my old PC's still run fine, but time has passed them by, and they sit in corners catching dust. Dell XPS with a Pentium D from 2004.
Dell optiplex pentium 4 from like 2006. various other dell Precision Laptops, with early Core 2 duo CPU's. I don't think
I'll ever "have" to buy a new one, and as long as the next one supports the Windows 11 security requirements. ( which none of mine currently do), but i have 4 years to work on that problem.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Somewhere in here I read that Windows 10 pro gives you more control over automatic updates?
Not sure as only got Pro - you can pause updates for up to 35 days. You can pause longer but only by re-pausing and have to remember to keep going back to re-pause them.

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PC hardware really doesn't break, it usually gets killed by lightning, or power surges or overheating from failed Fans.

I've had motherboards die from bad capacitors, and I've had power supplies die for much the same reason. most of these were 'good' brands (Antec and similar PSUs, Asus motherboards, etc). these systems were on SmartUPS or equivalent high end UPS systems so power surges weren't an issue, and we don't get any lightning here near the west coast.

OTOH, my current main system at home is a core i5-3570K thats been running solid for like 8 years now, and its in a CoolerMaster chassis thats had two older motherboards before it (but I think the PSU got replaced in there somewhere to support ATX12V or whatever newer standards)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok guys I found a deal on a computer. Currently the house will have 7 cameras. Will this computer support another 6-9 cameras for when I add the garage to the system? Here are the specs.

Thanks,
Magna

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

• Processor: 10th Generation Intel Core i3-10100 processor
It's one of the weaker processor but according to Passmark Software's CPU Tables it scores above an i7-6700K which was a pretty strong processor a number of years ago. In fact in it's time a 6700K would have been near flagship. Therefore I would say it's probably well capable of running anything a 6700K would have done. You could look at the Hardware Recommendations to see what other users are running on the 6700K's and at what level of CPU usage.

The PassMark CPU Benchmark Tables are here:

You can search for your processor using the search field then reorder the table top to bottom in order of score.

For reference, the 10,100 scores 9155

the i7-6700K scores 8953

One aspect worth considering with many of these processors is I've heard that i7's become i5's and i3's over time in the next generations, so rather than making every new generation from new chip designs, they simply make the top processors ie i9's, i7's to the new designs and relegate the older top chips to the i5 and i3 levels. Only a rumour I heard though and may not be true. Would seem to make sense from a cost pov though.

I've bought an i5 chip myself but you'll have to wait until my build thread to find out which one and why!

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
I had read the wiki for picking hardware and saw this system would support it and had a 1TB hard drive for storage. This computer is a clearance special for under $150 so I thought it would be a deal to use as I get things going in the next few months hopefully. I understand its not the best or top choice. I figured I would probably be able to add more RAM but I haven't priced computer parts in a long time.
House supposed to be done for Thanksgiving but we'll see.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It'll get you started into the BI world. and you can upgrade some of the hardware as you find out where the problems are. you'll probably want to double the ram , and get 4TB Surveillance drive. 1TB isn't much storage "time", but again it'll get you started. Only thing I'm wondering is the Windows 10, on the 7200 1TB drive? it'll be a slow ass dog reading and writing. It's always the slowest component on an otherwise fast computer.
If I bought that for $150, and realized I needed an SSD for Windows, $70, and another 8 GB Ram, $40, and a Surveillance drive $100, then I might look a system that already has an SSD and 16GB of ram.
and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't skimp on the surveillance drive. Some of the Desktop Hardrives use SMR technology, and the companies that slipped those into the product channels, had pissed off customers when they realized why their NAS or thier PC was acting slow in certain reads or writes. I know I had one. There was large difference in the BI playback lag/stammer/freeze with a WD 6TB Blue drive, vs a WD 8 TB Purple drive.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had read the wiki for picking hardware and saw this system would support it and had a 1TB hard drive for storage. This computer is a clearance special for under $150 so I thought it would be a deal to use as I get things going in the next few months hopefully. I understand its not the best or top choice. I figured I would probably be able to add more RAM but I haven't priced computer parts in a long time.
House supposed to be done for Thanksgiving but we'll see.
The "best choice" is one that runs everything you need reliably. That should do it. If you are getting it for that price, you done good! You may want an SSD, but they aren't that much. I was running 8 GB of ram with about a dozen cameras, and it did fine, but it was close to capacity on ram. I bought another 8 GB stick for $35 or so, to ensure ram was not an issue.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You can buy a 250gb SSD for as litle as £27, cheaper than a Hard Drive.

You can buy a good 250gb for £50 (I mean one of the best). So no reason to buy a HD as a system drive.

You can even get an NVME drive for that price. Just be aware in some tests NVME have been shown to slow down when hot so SSD may be better as very little speed difference (see Linus Tech tips NVME vs SSD vs Hard Drive Test on Youtube.

Examples of cheap Solid State Drives (UK but should be similar in US):

Higher End:

I've personally gone with a 250gb SSD for my build as BI with Deepstack is only 100mb. Windows 20 GB meaning Win 10 64 bit + BI is only going to use just over 20.1gb leaving a massive 220gb+ free.

I steered away from NVME. Little difference in practical speed an big difference if they get hot. SSD is a solid choice.

Last edited:

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to just get one of the eBay units and save some time/grief upgrading the clearance system. Not worried about updates as this will be a standalone system since good internet isn't available in my area yet. (Maybe in the next year or so) We'll be using at&t or Verizon hotspot for home WiFi/streaming until then.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have just posted a similar thread, asking if the particular hardware will be good enough. Based on my reading, the MP's coming out of the cam is important. Two 4K cams running at 15 frames per second translates to 250 MP's. Upto 800 MPs is good for a four core CPU.
While these are general rules of thumb in the wiki, how does an ebay $250 - $350 PC meets these requirements? I also understand that a typical home owner could be deploying a 2MP cam so for those needs a 4th gen CPU may be adequate.

So, IMHO, the answer really is that you have to analyze what cams you will install which will drive what CPU would be adequate for that need.

Please provide feedback if my understanding (based on my reading) is incorrect ?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
bits/bytes etc...heres a list of my cameras current data use. Only count Cam9 once. thats 17 cams. It's about 95 Mbps. Which is just under what a 10/100 Switch could handle. So if your going to run 8 cams or what ever.... yes you could use a 100 Mbps switch. Sometimes you can find one with a Gigabit Uplink port.

. Screenshot 2021-10-26 141159.png

Last edited: