Strange behaviour video/artifacts IPC-T5442T-ZE

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today I finally found the time to install my second IPC-T5442T-ZE in my backyard which I bought almost a year ago from Andy (due to medical problems I wasn't able to pull UTP in the crawl space beneath our house).

Unfortunately the picture showed some strange behaviour as seen in the short clip I've uploaded on YouTube. The setting are similar to the same cam I've installed at the front of our house and was wondering what this could be?

Any thoughts?

1647890183973.png
1647890143394.png

Last edited:

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seeing this on one of my IPC-T5442TM-AS I just purchased from Andy. I have another I purchased last year that does not exhibit this behavior. I upgraded both to the same firmware you have when I got the new camera.

From what I can tell it is an overly aggressive VBR algorithm. I'm using h.265 and bumping the quality up to Highest has helped. Also, setting an ROI with the high quality also fixes it but the bitrates skyrocket,

Before trying CBR, I am going to try to do a factory default on the camera.

Some folks have had minor bugs related to firmware updates fixed by doing that in this thread:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Different scenes can have challenges. all those bricks seem to make the camera try to oversharpen things at moments? or is it going from Mainstream to Sub stream?

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am seeing this on one of my IPC-T5442TM-AS I just purchased from Andy. I have another I purchased last year that does not exhibit this behavior. I upgraded both to the same firmware you have when I got the new camera.

From what I can tell it is an overly aggressive VBR algorithm. I'm using h.265 and bumping the quality up to Highest has helped. Also, setting an ROI with the high quality also fixes it but the bitrates skyrocket,

Before trying CBR, I am going to try to do a factory default on the camera.

Some folks have had minor bugs related to firmware updates fixed by doing that in this thread:
I've tried the factory default too, but it didn't solve it. My bitrate type is already CBR with 15FPS and 15 I Frame Interval. I'm also using H.265

Different scenes can have challenges. all those bricks seem to make the camera try to oversharpen things at moments? or is it going from Mainstream to Sub stream?
The video is only from Mainstream, I can try to change my backyard cam with the frontyard cam, and vice versa, to see if it makes a difference.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 1 5442 ZE, so I'm no expert. It has a tough job. facing the sun, and then bright parking lot lights at night. quite a wide range of lighting conditions. It's a wonder these things do what they do. pretty amazing.

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What bitrate are you guys using?

I’d turn off h.265 as it isn’t very effective anyway and has been known to mess with the image. Then run at least 8192 or 10240 CBR. Turn sharpness down a smidge as they are overly sharp at default.
My current settings for my backyard cam:
1647906834808.png

I will try your recommended settings and will check in broad daylight if it will help solve this behaviour.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might try playing with both the 3dNR and conventional 2dNR settings as well. The "dancing dots" can sometimes be cured with adjustments to those settings. Try lowering them both from the defaults to start with (maybe somewhere in the 25-40 range for 3dNR, and about 20-30 for 2d NR). I'd up the bitrate, and run H264 too, but I'm still new at this, others may have more to say here.

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My new settings:

1647907718587.png

Because it's 01.00 am here right now, I can't check the daylight results. I will report back later today. Thanks all for helping me out and try to solve this issue, I appreciate it a lot!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the benefit of Substream when its at 1080P?
It is less than 4MP, but yes, to get the best bang for the buck in BI, subs should be ran lower.

Most of mine are D1 at 256 bitrate and that is good enough for OpenALPR to read plates, so it is good enough for me LOL.

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've played around with some settings and also noticed the remark about the substream (1080P). My new settings:
1647949122303.png

Should I also enable Sub Stream 2 or do I leave it disabled?

The new settings resulted in a much better picture, and I think I got rid of those artifacts as far as I can see.