Starting over, need recommendations

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We had a power surge a month ago and we lost a lot of equipment in our house. Including my NVR and camera's. So I am needing to start over. I figured this would be a good time to upgrade my router too.

Being completely un tech savvy I would like recommendations on what to get.

My NVR is a Dahua. When I set my old one up I could not figure out how to configure it to to view through DMSS without enabling p2p which everyone says is a big no no. But I needed to be able to see my camera's remotely so I gave up and enabled that.

My current router is a Linksys router circa mid 2000's. So I know it is time for a update. I know I need a router with VPN, so what is a recommended one?
In regards to VPN and viewing remotely, how does one access that from a phone or another computer? Is it as simple as downloading a app like OpenVPN on our phones? Or will I still be able to use DMSS, and I didnt have my old NVR set up right?

What make and model routers would be a good choice?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll let one of the more network savvy members respond in greater detail but yes VPN into your NVR.

Asus routers probably make it the easiest to setup OpenVPN (I use Netgear. Not all models come with OpenVPN natively so check for that.)

Basically you enable OpenVPN on the router, install the OpenVPN app on your phone and/or laptop, export a file from the router which acts as the OpenVPN server.

Install that credential file on phone/laptop or both.

Now when you go to access your NVR from outside your network, you open the OpenVPN app, enable it, and connect to your NVR using DMSS (or I use SmartPSS on the laptop) just like you would normally.

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There was another users who mentioned using this new router. Prior to that I didnt know that synology made network gear. It supports multiple vpn options including openvpn. But the vlan is a game changer in an easy to use interface with good wifi at $300.
I have been using it for a month and. It works very well and is a breeze to set up. I used an orbi pro 6 mini (also really easy vlans) before and I think the synology is far superior. It is also backwards compatible with cheaper synology routers/mesh points if that is a consideration

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ended up with the Synology RT6600AX. I have it up and running. Now to figure out how to set up a VPN, get my camera's running off of it ect...

I got a account on OpenVPN, and everything they have to download that I am seeing is for linux. I now need to start looking into that....

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There was another users who mentioned using this new router. Prior to that I didnt know that synology made network gear. It supports multiple vpn options including openvpn. But the vlan is a game changer in an easy to use interface with good wifi at $300.

So far I am very pleased with the wifi from it. We have a large farm house. Our internet comes in at one corner, our master bedroom is on the 2nd floor at the opposite end of the house. With our old router we needed a wifi extender on the 2nd floor so we could have wifi in the master bedroom. with the AX6600 I now no longer need the extender, we essentially have full wifi.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So far I am very pleased with the wifi from it. We have a large farm house. Our internet comes in at one corner, our master bedroom is on the 2nd floor at the opposite end of the house. With our old router we needed a wifi extender on the 2nd floor so we could have wifi in the master bedroom. with the AX6600 I now no longer need the extender, we essentially have full wifi.
Awesome!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Wonder how this comares to Asus products features apart?

I have the Asus AX82U Router and although in tests it came out top for performance, I'm never satisfied with the wifi. Maybe it's becasue UK homes have thick brick walls but sometimes in my upstairs bedroom, my neighbours BT Hub has a stronger signal than my Asus despite his signal travelling through the additional double brick party wall. We both have our Hubs in exactly the same place and being semi-detached, the homes have an identical layout.

Reaction score
I ended up with the Synology RT6600AX. I have it up and running. Now to figure out how to set up a VPN, get my camera's running off of it ect...

I got a account on OpenVPN, and everything they have to download that I am seeing is for linux. I now need to start looking into that....
The Synology routers have their own internal VPN Server. No need for an OpenVPN account. You need to install the VPN Server from the Packages section. Once done, you have numerous types of VPN access that can be set up within the Synology router. It's a very easy setup to do, and it works!

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just ordered a RT-AX86u pro. It should be here tomorrow. Should I send it back an order this Synology one? Trying to setup Starlink 3rd party router. Also using zerotier.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered a RT-AX86u pro. It should be here tomorrow. Should I send it back an order this Synology one? Trying to setup Starlink 3rd party router. Also using zerotier.
It depends on your needs and wants vs costs. No one can decide for you.