SOLVED: New user added, single camera access, only shows sub-stream. Why?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Original post below. The problem was that I had webcast group stream enabled for the single-camera group. Thus when the user logged in, BI was serving up a "composite" group image of one camera - which uses the sub-stream. If the user clicked on the image, it would switch to "solo" view and go to main-stream. By disabling the group stream (see ETA 3 below), the user logs in directly to the solo (main-stream) view. It wasn't terribly intuitive until I understood that I could set the group stream option individually for each group.

-------------
I created a new user with access limited to a single group, containing a single camera. When that user accesses the camera, it stays in sub-stream mode - blurry, reduced bitrate, etc. However, when I view that camera from anything other than that specific group (i.e. when using another admin profile) the camera is using the main stream.

I cannot seem to find a setting either under the user settings (i.e. bandwidth limiter), the group settings (edit group), or the camera itself (use dual-record).

So the problem seems to be specific to the camera when under the single-camera group. That's the only place it won't switch to main.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

ETA: I am runnin 5.5.0.15 from Sept of last year. Anything newer and my server crashes at least once per hour. I've sent a request to Ken to see what he might have changed between that version and the newer ones that cause instability.

That said, for grins, I added a second camera to the single-camera group. Now when I switch it to solo view, it does toggle to main stream. So I think if you have only one camera in a group, it doesn't show the main stream.

ETA 2:

I think I figured it out. In a group with only one camera, when it first pulls up, it's an "index" view of the group - which is just that one camera. So that is a composite image of one, which uses the sub-stream. If I click on it, nothing changes in terms of the image size, but it forces BI to serve up the camera as a solo view (no longer composite) and thereby puts it into the main stream mode.

Problem solved. Tempted to delete this one-person discussion here, but maybe others can benefit from my babbling.

ETA 3:

While in the single-camera group, clicking on the gear wheel brings up the webcasting options:

1649463578093.png

Disabling the "enable group webcast stream" puts the user right into the solo view at login. No more group composite of one. I was reluctant to try that, since I assumed it would turn off the group stream for all my groups - but fortunately it is group-specific. Perfect solution.

Last edited: