[Solved] Anyone else having push notifications issues/failures on Android?

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My phone stopped getting push notifications sometime in the past few weeks. It's a T-Mobile Galaxy S9 and I cannot think of any tweaks or changes I would have made to disable notifications from the official Blue Iris app. My first troubleshooting was to uninstall/reinstall it, and then verify I have notifications enabled for the app.

So that I don't go chasing my tail, are there known push notification problems with the Android app of late? Should I just chill out and wait for an updated version?

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seen it with the T-Mobile Android (Galaxy) for several months. I haven't figured it out yet. Did it start after a T-mobile update?

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe my notifications issue did, in fact, coincide with an update. I don't think (but can't be sure) it was the "big" update to Android 10, but one of the subsequent ones.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not in front of my server, . . . but go to one of your camera properties page, alerts, then send push notification configure page, then test. I think the server will tell you how many device it sent a push to. Compare that to the number of devices listed on the server and that might help confirm if the phone is the issue.

Mts33

n3wb
Reaction score
My case is a latency about 30 sec between alert time and push receiving time

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
My phone stopped getting push notifications sometime in the past few weeks. It's a T-Mobile Galaxy S9 and I cannot think of any tweaks or changes I would have made to disable notifications from the official Blue Iris app. My first troubleshooting was to uninstall/reinstall it, and then verify I have notifications enabled for the app.

So that I don't go chasing my tail, are there known push notification problems with the Android app of late? Should I just chill out and wait for an updated version?
i get thumbnail notifications, lately its hit or miss. sometimes i get a picture other times its a blank box

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just updated to BI5 today; went smoothly but can’t get push notifications working to my iOS devices. Router is configured to port forward etc.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
gilkman, are you T-Mobile? Cameraguy, are you T-mobile and Android, Galaxy?

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I have a tmobile Note 8. Seems to only push if I have the app open. Have had issues with various Tmobile updates in the past not just with BI.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Aha...so I updated my version after my fresh install and push is now working fine. I am currently on BI 5.2.6.5

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on 5.2.9.20 because I want memos in alerts from AI Tool. I might have to revert back for more stable notification thumbnails

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... go to one of your camera properties page, alerts, then send push notification configure page, then test.
Thanks for the suggestion, Nanook! I didn't realize the test button was now the lightning bolt (it used to be in the window where you selected the audio alert). When I did that, I got the helpful feedback that the alert I'm troubleshooting spanned another profile - once I un-selected the profile it should not have, it started working.

To be fair/honest, I also delved into the Android app's settings and discovered that "Play new alert sound" was off - perhaps as a result of my uninstall/reinstall operation.

Thanks, everyone!