So how'd I do?

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Picked up this Dell Optiplex 7040 to use as my Blue Iris computer as we don't have personal computers at home. Wife and I both have laptops provided to us through our employers. Here are the specs of the 7040

Operating System- Windows 10 Professional x64Bit
CPU- Intel Core i7-6700
Processor Core Count- Quad-Core (Hyperthreaded)
Processor Speed- 3.40GHz
Memory- 16 GB DDR4 (4 GB x 4)
Storage- 128 GB M.2 SSD + 500 GB HDD
Graphics- Intel HD Graphics 530
2 x Display Port
1 x HDMI
4 x USB 2.0
6 x USB 3.0
Headphone / Microphone Jack
Audio Output
Gigabit Ethernet

Got it for just over $200.
Now to start slowly buying cameras to install.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Picked up this Dell Optiplex 7040 to use as my Blue Iris computer as we don't have personal computers at home. Wife and I both have laptops provided to us through our employers. Here are the specs of the 7040

Operating System- Windows 10 Professional x64Bit
CPU- Intel Core i7-6700
Processor Core Count- Quad-Core (Hyperthreaded)
Processor Speed- 3.40GHz
Memory- 16 GB DDR4 (4 GB x 4)
Storage- 128 GB M.2 SSD + 500 GB HDD
Graphics- Intel HD Graphics 530
2 x Display Port
1 x HDMI
4 x USB 2.0
6 x USB 3.0
Headphone / Microphone Jack
Audio Output
Gigabit Ethernet

Got it for just over $200.
Now to start slowly buying cameras to install.
Everything looks decent except you'll probably want to upgrade the HDD for longer footage retention. Either that or you'll want to limit your continuous recording to a couple cameras and leave the rest when triggered/alerted.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be good with that in typical use. I've had that exact same computer in mini-tower form running my 20 cams for a while now. Mix of 8MP, 4MP, a few 5, 3, and the rest with most of the better cams running at higher rates. Typical base state not doing much is about 11-20% CPU. Can get it over 50%-60%+ with the BI console up in RDC and open several of the better cams single -view on multiple machines or otherwise doing more but that's unusual.

Only thing that I don't like about it is limited drive space even with the tower. Just one bay for a 3.5" drive. Plenty of physical space for another but no place made for it.