So far so good...

anom3

n3wb
Reaction score
A little bit of background... I come from a fairly heavy softdev background and have a full fledged home automation setup here. I develop software in various languages, most recently I have forayed into android / java development...

So far I am quite happy with Blue Iris... My use case is not that typical:

I have a single RTSP based Grandstream GDS3710 video doorbell facing a fairly "easy" environment.

Previously I was using synologies surveillance package to motion detect / capture from this doorbell. it worked well for the most part, with one big caveat. TONS of false alarms. I do not have the motion detects set to notify my phone as we live in an area with quite a few children running around and it would just get annoying...

But I do have the video doorbell set to wake our indoor wall mounted panels when motion is detected. I wrote a nice little intercom app for android for these. The annoying bit was when ever there would be significant lighting changes (eg: clouds) the panels would wake. The wife would always ask why is it on, there is no one there...

The Blur Iris motion detect algo is leaps and bounds better. As most have posted on here, it takes a bit of fiddle to get the settings tune right... But at least in my environment I am running them with sensitivity maxed out (both), 0.7 max time and ignore on 66%+ screen change.

Finally, no more false alerts with cloud changes... No more false alarms when the neighbours flood light decides to motion trigger when its dark for no apparent reason.

Its not perfect, but for the price, it really is the best option.

Oh and one final note... I am running it in a docker container... I have not had it up for over 24 hours but it seams to be working nice and stable. Initially I had the docker on my DS918+ NAS... It worked fine, but the performance just wasn't there... I have now moved it to my home auto box (Hystou H5 mini PC with a 8250 i5) and its running super smooth and brought my average load up about 0.2.

Not bad!