smart pss on a 4k screen

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make this software usable on a 4k monitor?
all the controls are too small
Maybe there is an alternative program to playback .dav files?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the resolution in Windows to like 1680 X 1050 , 1280 X 800 or even 800 X 600 ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you serious?
Why would I buy a 4K monitor and 4k cameras then?
dead serious, because you would be smart enough to understand that you dont need a 4k monitor to benefit from a 4k camera.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But I use my computer for other tasks too.
And BTW, instead of changing windows resolution back and forth you can achieve similar results with "High DPI scaling override" property in the SmartPSS shortcut.
The image is blury and that's not what I expect from a professional software in 2019

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And BTW, instead of changing windows resolution back and forth you can achieve similar results with "High DPI scaling override" property in the SmartPSS shortcut.
The image is blury and that's not what I expect from a professional software in 2019
dahua pss is not "professional software"
If you use your computer for other tasks (which is a TERRIBLE idea) then that is why you have a 4k monitor, not because of your 4k cameras.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I already see that dahua pss is a piece of shit software. (hence the name)
Back to my original question, is there a software that works with dav files and support high DPI monitors correctly?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Back to my original question, is there a software that works with dav files and support high DPI monitors correctly?
I thought it was "Does anyone know how to make this software usable on a 4k monitor?"

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a second question, I've heard of "DSS Express", but as I understand it requires a standalone machine.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I already see that dahua pss is a piece of shit software. (hence the name)
Having used it for a few years, I strongly disagree with this conclusion. Yes it has bugs, and some of them annoy me, but for everyday use I prefer it to the NVR's native or web GUI. Maybe it doesn't do the job you need it to. With 14 cameras it's my first choice of the available options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - there is still plenty of software ( consumer grade, as well as professional ) which do not yet work as well as we would like on a 4K monitor.

Yes, it would be nice to see that changed..

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is some good 3rd party software since we are on the topic.
Main bi server doesn't get any views as it is in a closet. So need to stream using UI3. I'm hoping to get much better quality from main stream on second computer that is not BI server. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is some good 3rd party software since we are on the topic.
Main bi server doesn't get any views as it is in a closet. So need to stream using UI3. I'm hoping to get much better quality from main stream on second computer that is not BI server. Any ideas?
You can stream ui3 with excellent quality, you just need to set it up properly.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can stream ui3 with excellent quality, you just need to set it up properly.
Is there a wiki on proper setup or thread about this? I don't feel the quality is bad but only looking for what would be the best when viewing remotely.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It has to deal with "scaling" your screen, which Windows uses to deal with an app font size and other controls in the Windows GUI library. Do a right click on your Windows Desktop, select Display Settings, and pick a scaling from 150% to 175%. Keep your resolution at 4K, don't lower it. That should make your app text size larger enough to be useful.
Cheers!

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used SmartPSS for a while now and it works great. Of course there will always be bugs with all software until they release updates to fix them but overall it's pretty solid in my opinion.

rokenbuzz

n3wb
Reaction score
^^^^ Yes, this seems to be the answer.
It seems this application must be using some custom or odd windowing library. Maybe because it's cross platform? On my previous laptop I noticed I could not use windows+arrow to dock the window, unlike normal windows apps.
Now on my new laptop the resolution is 3840x2400, much higher than my old, and this too is a problem. I mean, I need a magnifying glass to see the buttons and text. Resolutions are getting insane.
The suggestion to lower the entire PC's resolution just for this application IS rather crazy if you use the PC for anything else, but would work. But if you want the best looking video, which I'd think you'd want for a video surveillance application, that's no good.

Pasting from betugias link because I hate when links die and information is lost:

You can disable DPI scaling by doing the following in Windows.
  1. You need a shortcut link to DesignSpark PCB on the desktop, if you don't have one drag one from the start menu.
  2. Right click on the shortcut and go to properties.
  3. Go to the Compatibility Tab.
  4. Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
    Note
    In Windows 10 Version 1703 and later version of Windows, the text of the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings option is changed to Override high DPI scaling behavior, scaling performed by: Application.
  5. Select "System" from the "Scaling performed by" pull down.
  6. Click on OK to save the setting.
  7. Now launch the program and the icons should be normal size.