Simple setup but networking issues

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a person (non tech) wants say 2 cameras. I am a tech person. So they are interested in 2 cameras with the possibility of up to 4. Here is the issue, there is wifi but I want a good resolution in order to identify a person if needed. Wires cannot be pulled due to a brick exterior and no access inside the walls of this house. It is an old house (nice but old). SO I am thinking of coming up with a plan to deploy a couple cameras with sd card for recording. The porch does have power. So my thought is to go with powerline networking rather than wifi. So I am looking for suggestions on:

1. Powerline networking.
2. IP camera ( I have been looking quite bit at hikivision.)
3. Thinking of power. The power outlet is on the front porch but not near where the camera will be placed. So POE.
4. I would like to make this all neat and hidden as possible, suggestions?

When recording to an SD card, how does a person obtain the recording when needed? Recording will be motion based. Depending on how they want things it might take simple jpegs. The people will want to look at the cameras from an app on their phones.

Thanks for any help
Bill

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You access the sd card through the network or remove from the camera. Why can't he drill through brick?

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You access the sd card through the network or remove from the camera. Why can't he drill through brick?

Was wondering same thing. Heck he has to have access thru a basement or attic where the roof isn't brick

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think in your case recording to SD would be okay. Then you'll manage with Wi-Fi (if you recorded to NVR, Wi-Fi might not be reliable enough).

If you are putting the cameras outdoors,
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-New-Arrival-3Mp-Audio-I-O-interface-Alarm-I-O-interface-Mini-Dome-Camera/638300_32229467849.html

and if indoors,
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/wholesale-Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-3MP-w-POE-IP-Camera-network-camera-Built-in-microphone-DWDR/638300_1472253824.html

You can monitor these cameras remote by installing Hikvision app to your mobile browser. You will also need to do port forwarding in the modem configuration, that is not difficult to do (please google "router model + port forwarding").

No PoE required in this case I think, just run the power cable to cameras.

Though, if you are thinking to expand the system in future (with NVR and more cameras), you should consider running the rj45 to cameras instead of power cable. But according to details you provided, I think it would be better to use just power cable + sd card recording.