Settings

Reaction score
Needing help dialing these in please. TN plates. IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. These are with a Tendelux BI8 illuminator.

I am also closely following the poor contrast for TN plate thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you know, those new plates suck.

Most run a faster shutter, but it appears everything is clear with no blur, it is just a bad plate.

How far away are the plates from the camera and are you using the internal IR as well? How far zoomed are you?

Hopefully our resident TN expert @wtimothyholman can offer some advice to tweak, but at first glance those seem like good camera settings.

Reaction score
Non ideal conditions for sure. Camera is 15 feet in the air approximately 95ft away. Not running internal IR due to the distance and hence why I run the external IR approximately 30ft from the subject. Only ~70% zoomed in as I want some context (which I know is frowned upon). I've been playing with the 1/500 and 1/1000 shutter but haven't seen any major differences.

Attachments

Reaction score
You might try H.264 instead of H.265. But I don't have a real inkling that it will help much.

If you notice my LPR-E and LPR-W cams are fairly different settings. It is harder for me to test the LPR-W settings as the traffic by that cam is fairly low at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the utility you could set it up to be zoomed at 70% during day and 95% at night.

If it doesn't provide a readable plate at night, then zoomed at 70% for context at night is useless....

The best chance to get the newer plates are making that plate as large as possible.

And yes, H265 may macroblock it just enough, so go to H264.

I suggest you turn the internal IR back on.

More than likely your external is not in perfect plane with the camera and thus the IR reflective bounce is not getting back to the camera. @wtimothyholman has tested and it is a very tight tolerance of being on the same angle or not makes all the difference.

By way of example, here is mine with just the camera internal IR at 175 feet. Granted it is the old style plate.

1668203130644.png

Reaction score
Needing help dialing these in please. TN plates. IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E. These are with a Tendelux BI8 illuminator.

I am also closely following the poor contrast for TN plate thread.
Unfortunately, except for the lack of zoom, those plate images are about as good as you're going to get. The contrast between the letters and the background is terrible under 850nm infrared light with the new TN plates.

The solution is to switch to white light LEDs using custom illuminators placed directly in line with the direction of the camera. My basement workshop will be put back together in the next two weeks once the repairs are completed from the broken water pipe. :( After that I'll get to work building and testing the illuminators.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Case in point: here's an image from my cameras with 850nm illumination. This was one of the rare plates that Rekor Scout was able to capture, but the plate still wasn't read correctly.

View attachment 145519
Can you PM me some of the full images with 3M plates, the ALPR that I am working I am starting to read the 3M plates.

Reaction score
Can you PM me some of the full images with 3M plates, the ALPR that I am working I am starting to read the 3M plates.
Do you mean that your ALPR camera is now somehow working with the new TN plates? Or that you're starting to see them in your area, and you want to see how your ALPR camera is performing?

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean that your ALPR is now somehow working with the new TN plates? Or that you're starting to see them on your cameras?
PM the images to me and I will see if it will read them, I was able to read some of @wittaj 3M plates, not 100% accurate but some was close.