Sensor damage? strange purple stain on the image

Jurko

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a pretty bad surprise when night has fallen and I went to check the image on my new Hikvision DS-2DE5425IW-AE

There is some strange purple/transparent ghost-like figure, taking over more than half of the image(video below).
It is only visible during the night(basically when camera exposure is using high gain values). During the day, or even during the night when zoomed in at a well lit area, the "figure" is not visible at all, and everything looks normal!

I've inspected the lens elements visually... there seems to be no dirt or stains or anything on there.
Also the "figure" stays the same regardless of zoom levels used, which would indicate it is not on the lens anyway.
I thought also it could be IR illuminator light bleeding on the sensor... OR dirt on the IR cut filter...
but even when I switch the camera to IR night mode, the figure remains. Which would indicate it is not that either.

I'm desperate to find out what this is and can it potentially be fixed...

I'm posting this in the general forum section, as I'm really curious if someone has seen something similar on any other camera, not just Hikvision.

What could be the reason for this? This is apparently a brand new/unused cam. It had this right from the box...

Note, exposure settings are on automatic factory default settings. I can "remove", or better said "hide" the figure by reducing the "Limit Gain" setting to about half... But then the night visibility of the camera is severely reduced

Here is a video demonstrating the problem:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What could be the reason for this? This is apparently a brand new/unused cam. It had this right from the box...
I'd say that it's most likely a faulty sensor, or maybe some contamination on the sensor, though this would generally also be visible in bright conditions.
Either way - it's a faulty unit, hopefully still under warranty.