senseless vadalism on night of 7/4

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighbor across the street reported to police about their car being damaged last saturday night (sun 7/5 2am)

I went back through my camera footage and can show what happened. Unfortunately, not enough to ID.
The guy was walking down the street, (or one of my other cams would have got a better shot,) just runs up and jumps on the car,
intentionally stomping on and smashing the windshield, then hops off and walks away like nothing...

View attachment lorex1.20200705_003619_1.mp4
View attachment feovrvw.20200705_003618_1.mp4

Cams are a Lorex LNB8005 (same as Dahua 4830, 1/2.5" sensor) ) and a Dahua 1831 (bigger 1/1.8" sensor), both 8MP cams.
Ther's a bright LED street lamp just across the street ( to the left of the car that was damaged.) and I have both these "overview" cams in forced color mode.
Not sure what I would do differently to ID someone 60 feet away at night. B&W with shorter exposure may have had better chance for ID,
but then I wouldn't have been able to say he had reddish pants and a probably a dark blue hoodie... the light string partially obstructing the view is new-ish and may
force me to reposition one or more cams (lower, i think, tho our own car usually parked right in front would have blocked this event from a lower vantage)

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I can hear audio, but can't see any video.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
works for me, but maybe here works better for you?
flic.kr/p/2jjngzA
flic.kr/p/2jjotnC

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor across the street reported to police about their car being damaged last saturday night (sun 7/5 2am)

I went back through my camera footage and can show what happened. Unfortunately, not enough to ID.
The guy was walking down the street, (or one of my other cams would have got a better shot,) just runs up and jumps on the car,
intentionally stomping on and smashing the windshield, then hops off and walks away like nothing...

View attachment 65921
View attachment 65922

Cams are a Lorex LNB8005 (same as Dahua 4830, 1/2.5" sensor) ) and a Dahua 1831 (bigger 1/1.8" sensor), both 8MP cams.
Ther's a bright LED street lamp just across the street ( to the left of the car that was damaged.) and I have both these "overview" cams in forced color mode.
Not sure what I would do differently to ID someone 60 feet away at night. B&W with shorter exposure may have had better chance for ID,
but then I wouldn't have been able to say he had reddish pants and a probably a dark blue hoodie... the light string partially obstructing the view is new-ish and may
force me to reposition one or more cams (lower, i think, tho our own car usually parked right in front would have blocked this event from a lower vantage)
Looks like you have some good light at night there... good catch never the less. Probably a good time to review the possible addition of another camera mounted lower to get a better chance at a facial id image.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So is that a cat or a cougar? Looks pretty big in the clip.

As for the vandal, who knows what went through his mind, the bigger worry is that he’s out there mingling with normal people and may trigger at any time.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
one of the strays/ferrals around the 'hood, and some time after the event (next clip from BI), if you check the timestamps.
the wife puts food out on the stoop for them, which is why the raccoons, possums and ravens also like to hang around,
despite our efforts to not leave anything out after dark...

I just got a Loryta IPC-T2347G-LU 4MP ColorVu to play with. Will try to simulate this scene some eve and see if it can ID someone running in the dark @60ft any better than the current setup...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
one of the strays/ferrals around the 'hood, and some time after the event (next clip from BI), if you check the timestamps.
the wife puts food out on the stoop for them, which is why the raccoons, possums and ravens also like to hang around,
despite our efforts to not leave anything out after dark...

I just got a Loryta IPC-T2347G-LU 4MP ColorVu to play with. Will try to simulate this scene some eve and see if it can ID someone running in the dark @60ft any better than the current setup...
It's pretty hard to get good night recognition, unless you are zoomed down to that area. If i were you i would leave my over view cameras and get a varifocal so that you could zoom into that scene closer. Also the lights you have hanging now will get in the way as you have said. This guy seems to be having mental issues.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, a VF or other cam with more narrow FoV could possibly grab a person's face as the run by 60ft away, IF it happened to pointing the right direction. I obviously cannot cover every possible location that some crazy person may do something stupid. Overall not unhappy with current setup, other than the lights in the way, which as i mentioned is new and will require some adjustments....

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
wow. Just heard from my neighbor that the guy has been busted and is now in custody, apparently responsible for 50 (yes 50!) such smashed windshields that night. Not sure I understand the message he might might have been trying to get across, but gotta give him an A for effort...