Seeing how low I can go for kb/s on a camera with VBR/CBR :)

Reaction score
while dabbling with aspects of camera profiles, I really started to tinker with various options of the camera itself. Got down to 1.8 kp/s :)
camera playing with settings 1.8kbs.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and playing with the difference between CBR and VBR (constant bit rate and variable bit rate) for both main streams and sub streams:

4mp CBR 174kbs.jpg4mp VBR 69kbs.jpg
substream camera CBR.jpgsubstream camera VBR.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that given all the issues you have with that person, that the still image of a lower bitrate is much different than when there is motion or during the daytime. The last thing you need is a low bitrate not giving you the video you need.

I would strongly suggest having someone run around out there and make sure quality doesn't suffer and that VBR is responsive enough.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that given all the issues you have with that person, that the still image of a lower bitrate is much different than when there is motion or during the daytime. The last thing you need is a low bitrate not giving you the video you need.

I would strongly suggest having someone run around out there and make sure quality doesn't suffer and that VBR is responsive enough.
yea... a couple main front cameras will remain CBR for time being. Just testing VBR on other cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been all over that bitrate game myself LOL - go low for storage considerations, go high for better clarity...always tinkering LOL.

Reaction score
I started tinkering due to using Deepstack AI and it's relation to motion capturing. From what I read, lower res using substream is the way to go. How low to go? unsure. My Dahua cams can do CIF 352x288 for substream1, and D1 704x576 for substream2.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
For my LPR cam, I have it set for CBR with max bit rate. So that's 8102 Kbps @H.265 for 2688x1520. All my other cameras are VBR but I keep the max bit rate the same as well as the codec and resolution. VBR is wonderful on these cameras. Compared to the the LPR, all those cams on VBR run about half the bit rate of the LPR as seen from Blue Iris. Really nice space saving feature with no noticeable quality degradation.