Second Router Connected to ISP Router

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My main (ISP) router is an Arris (Spectrum) gateway. I have a T-Mobile Asus Cellspot router connected to the gateway via an E-port. When I make the connection and log into the gateway, I can see the Asus under ethernet clients as "Unknown" name, IP 192.168.0.3. I try typing the IP in the URL field, but I just get internet crap, not the web GUI for the Asus router. What am I doing wrong?
TYIA for any help.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of "internet crap?"

First thing to check is that you have remote management on the Asus turned on. Under Administration > System tab > Enable Web Access from WAN = Yes. I think you also need to specify port 8443 (by default) from that side. Some of this will vary depending on the specific router/firmware.

Generally, you should not have this turned on unless you're sure that it's not directly exposed to the Internet. I'm assuming that your Arris gateway has some access restrictions and that this is sitting protected behind it.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong?

You have two gateways connected and probably both doing DHCP.

What are your reasons for connecting the Asus router gateway to the Arris Gateway?

Here use a primary XFinity Arris SB6190 modem connected to the PFSense Firewall WAN port #1. Failover here is a T-Mobile modem connected to PFSense firewall WAN port #2 which works should the XFinity modem not work. I do not mix the two networks. I can shut off or disable the XFinity modem to manage the T-Mobile modem or vice versa.

Does your XFinity gateway allow for an secondary WAN connection or can you define one of the Ethernet ports as a WAN aux gateway?

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

First thing to check is that you have remote management on the Asus turned on. Under Administration > System tab > Enable Web Access from WAN = Yes. I think you also need to specify port 8443 (by default) from that side. Some of this will vary depending on the specific router/firmware.

Generally, you should not have this turned on unless you're sure that it's not directly exposed to the Internet. I'm assuming that your Arris gateway has some access restrictions and that this is sitting protected behind it.

By internet crap I mean typical internet links when you google something. My problem is that I can not access the Asus router administration web GUI as it is now connected. My computer is connected to the Arris gateway via an ethernet port, and the Asus router is also connected to the Arris gateway via an E-port. Should I connect my computer directly to the Asus router?

Last edited:

Jbiff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong?

You have two gateways connected and probably both doing DHCP.

What are your reasons for connecting the Asus router gateway to the Arris Gateway?

Here use a primary XFinity Arris SB6190 modem connected to the PFSense Firewall WAN port #1. Failover here is a T-Mobile modem connected to PFSense firewall WAN port #2 which works should the XFinity modem not work. I do not mix the two networks. I can shut off or disable the XFinity modem to manage the T-Mobile modem or vice versa.

Does your XFinity gateway allow for an secondary WAN connection or can you define one of the Ethernet ports as a WAN aux gateway?
First, I'm a noob. When I got the asus router I didn't know it was a gateway. Being a noob I thought a second router would spread out the bandwidth load. Yes I now realize that all the traffic has to go thru the Arris gateway regardless. Should I just remove the Asus since it now appears there is no benefit to having a second router/gateway if there is not a second WAN?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
IP 192.168.0.3. I try typing the IP in the URL field, but I just get internet crap, not the web GUI for the Asus router. What am I doing wrong?
Try building a full URL instead of just putting the IP address into the address bar. Browsers can be a little funny about that. It thinks you were trying to do a search.
The Asus router almost certainly provides a better configuration interface and better features (like OpenVPN server), but in order for that to be meaningful you would need to get the Arris gateway into bridge mode so that your Asus was receiving the public IPv4 address from your ISP.