SD59430U IVS Event Lag, other issues.

Cire

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here. I just picked up a Dahua SD59430U camera and I'm having some issues that look to me to be maybe hardware issues with the camera. I thought I'd ask you all for your thoughts.

Camera Info:

Device Type DH-SD59430U-HNI
System Version V2.623.0000000.17.R.E4.301d.3S.NR, Build Date: 2019-01-19
WEB Version V3.2.1.687530
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.5.668993)
PTZ Version V2.300.0000000.10.RHNT_170926_24381
Security Baseline Version V1.3

The camera is powered via POE using a Dahua POE+ Injector on about 50ft of Cat 5e cable.

The camera seems to work properly until an IVS event occurs. Say a car crosses a tripwire and triggers the event. The Camera Freezes for 1-3 seconds then jumps to wherever the PTZ went which usually is behind or past the target.

The lag is visible in both the live view and the onboard video saved to the SD card.

The second very strange issue is I'm now missing the PTZ option from the IVS event screen. The option that is suppose to be between [ ] Send Email and [ ] Snapshot. It was there a few hours ago and now its no longer displayed.

Things I've tried.

1. New network cable.
2. Second POE+ injector.
3. Firmware Update with factor reset to defaults.
4. Turn everything that might cause lag off. Lower video resolution, lower bit rate.
5. Add an SD card, remove an SD Card.

There are no errors being shown or logged.

Any input and thoughts would be appreciated. I'm about to request a return if I can't get the camera to function properly.

-Eric

Allmanbros

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm seeing the exact same issue you are using the same firmwares. We use IVS to auto-track planes at an airport, and it's extremely frustrating to see the freezing video now.

upload_2019-5-31_12-31-51.png

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have this issue with the SD59225U-HNI

I've been trying all sorts the firmware is the same (I think)

It never did it before i upgraded the firmware a few weeks ago.

I was thinking it maybe a network bottleneck issue

Cire

n3wb
Reaction score
I may have tracked down the issue a little. I noticed that the PTZ operated much more reliably when powered from 24VAC then it did from my Dahua POE+ injector. The issue I believe is one of CPU load and power. I think the camera is throttling the CPU due to power constraints when an IVS event occurs. I wonder if the POE side of this camera is having issues supplying enough power for the camera when CPU processing is high. Degrading the video quality to offload CPU demand also helps prevent the problem.

My temporary fix was to reduce the frame rate of the camera and switch from POE to 24VAC. This has resolved about 98% of the lag issue.. The PTZ still acts stupid sometimes (going around in circles etc when following someone) but I believe those are likely firmware related.

It's also possible that the 24awg Cat5e cable cant handle the instantaneous power requirements of the camera. I've just finished pulling new 23awg Cat 6 cable and will test that tomorrow to see if it helps on the POE side.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I may have tracked down the issue a little. I noticed that the PTZ operated much more reliably when powered from 24VAC then it did from my Dahua POE+ injector. The issue I believe is one of CPU load and power. I think the camera is throttling the CPU due to power constraints when an IVS event occurs. I wonder if the POE side of this camera is having issues supplying enough power for the camera when CPU processing is high. Degrading the video quality to offload CPU demand also helps prevent the problem.

My temporary fix was to reduce the frame rate of the camera and switch from POE to 24VAC. This has resolved about 98% of the lag issue.. The PTZ still acts stupid sometimes (going around in circles etc when following someone) but I believe those are likely firmware related.

It's also possible that the 24awg Cat5e cable cant handle the instantaneous power requirements of the camera. I've just finished pulling new 23awg Cat 6 cable and will test that tomorrow to see if it helps on the POE side.
I already run my cam off 240v so that's not my issue.

Let me know how you get on with the cat6 cable as will be good to know if that sorts it.

I like you am using 24awg cat5e solid copper.

I'm due to run all my cables again as I tidy up the install this summer and put everything in a cabinet.

I initially thought it may be a network bottleneck but that specific camera goes as I have a couple of switches sttew everywhere, but that specific camera actually goes directly to the router and then directly to the NVR

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
that specific camera actually goes directly to the router and then directly to the NVR
Some routers don't behave that well when their switch ports are handling high steady video streams, though the effect I noticed a few years back was on the internet download speed as opposed to the switching speed.
Back then I was pulling 8 or 9 streams of video off one PoE NVR to another NVR whose network stack wasn't good enough to locally action the re-direct implied by the static route and still pulled the traffic via the LAN gateway.
Not a problem now as I no longer have any PoE NVRs, all the cameras are on managed PoE switches.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some routers don't behave that well when their switch ports are handling high steady video streams, though the effect I noticed a few years back was on the internet download speed as opposed to the switching speed.
Back then I was pulling 8 or 9 streams of video off one PoE NVR to another NVR whose network stack wasn't good enough to locally action the re-direct implied by the static route and still pulled the traffic via the LAN gateway.
Not a problem now as I no longer have any PoE NVRs, all the cameras are on managed PoE switches.
Yes I don't have a Poe nvr either but I'm using unmanaged switches.

The plan this summer is to re run all the network cables to a central data cab using just 1 switch.

As you start adding more cameras to the setup in a "as you go" mentality the cabling tends to get complex and messy with unnecessary use of additional switches and routes.

This can only add to potential problems, make troubleshooting difficult and quite possibly in the end cause a lan bottleneck somewhere

BSD2000

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issues with the following firmware:

System Firmware: 2.623.0000000.1.R.E4.301d.3S.NR, Build Date: 2018-06-27
WEB Version: 3.2.1.596670
ONVIF Version: 16.12(V2.4.3.574996)
PTZ Version: 2.301.0000000.3.RHNT_180331_26657

The 'Manual Check' button on the web GUI always reports 'is the latest version'

Issues:

- Freezing and pausing during a triggered IVS event making recordings almost useless and unacceptable for such an expensive camera.
- PTZ auto-tracking fails to track certain moving targets, sometimes just spins in a circle. I now turned it off.

It's almost as if the camera doesn't have enough CPU processing power to smoothly handle all of the function it's designed to have. Either that or the firmware coders have no idea how to optimize the code to make the most of what processing power it does have. I'd love to see a PTZ camera with a quad or octa-core CPU and a few GB of RAM so it can handle any task with ease. All of these IP cameras are really nothing more than cell phone-based ARM processors with some hardware coding/decoding built-in running a bare-bones version of Linux. Octa-core ARM processors are cheap; RAM is cheap; I just wish manufacturers would start taking advantage of the hardware available and produce products that perform on par with their hype.