Scanning for Cameras off network

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to put this in my other thread but its a bit off topic so I am starting a different one in case someone has a similar question.

The Dahua cameras come set with a static IP of 192.168.1.108. My network is 192.168.255.xxx. Currently, I have to change my local LAN settings on my PC and connect directly to the camera in order to change the IP. Doing a simple search with the scanner program will yield no results due to the camera being outside my network range. Its a pain setting them up this way especially when I have 40+ more to do. Plugging them right into the POE switch would make setup a breeze. Otherwise I have to configure my local PC, find a 12v power source and plug, and manually change the camera info that way. Is there an easier way? Can I scan for a MAC ID if its off network? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to put this in my other thread but its a bit off topic so I am starting a different one in case someone has a similar question.

The Dahua cameras come set with a static IP of 192.168.1.108. My network is 192.168.255.xxx. Currently, I have to change my local LAN settings on my PC and connect directly to the camera in order to change the IP. Doing a simple search with the scanner program will yield no results due to the camera being outside my network range. Its a pain setting them up this way especially when I have 40+ more to do. Plugging them right into the POE switch would make setup a breeze. Otherwise I have to configure my local PC, find a 12v power source and plug, and manually change the camera info that way. Is there an easier way? Can I scan for a MAC ID if its off network? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
If you use the current version of the Dahua config tool, at the top of the screen, you can tell it to search another subnet. Click Search Setting.
lower left corner is a "Batch IP setup option". I've not tried it.
Upper right corner, the little turret cam Icon, has a help file available.

Capture.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the config tool doesn't work for you (it should) -
Plugging them right into the POE switch would make setup a breeze.
What's to stop you doing that? It's just a layer 2 switch, and a power source, it doesn't care about IP addresses.
With the PC IP address set to 192.168.1.x and one camera at a time plugged in (they all will have the same default IP address ...)

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the config tool doesn't work for you (it should) -

What's to stop you doing that? It's just a layer 2 switch, and a power source, it doesn't care about IP addresses.
With the PC IP address set to 192.168.1.x and one camera at a time plugged in (they all will have the same default IP address ...)
Did not even think of that.....but you are correct. For some reason with my limited networking knowledge I did not even think of changing my adapter settings to match the camera while still connected to the backbone. I won't see anything else, but I will find the camera.

Thanks,