Satelite Internet Connection

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys anyone out there using satelite internet to access their cameras remotely? I just found out Cox will not be able to service my new place and it seem neither does any other cable/internet company at the moment. The part that pisses me off is I was told it was no issue 3mths ago and given a quote for running the service from a pole in the area to my house. (House down the street has service) So now it looks like Hughes Net is my option for home internet until the big guys decide to spend money expanding. If you are using satelite internet how is it working for you if at all?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to MY world....rural area with limited and sucky Internet service! :confused:

Using conventional methods for remote access with your ISP, you'll need a "public" IP for your WAN for remote access, not to be confused with a "static" or "dynamic" IP. Most satellite and cellular ISPs utilize carrier-grade NAT and do not provide a public IP.

Additionally, recent satellite ISP's employ IPv6 addressing, which is not compatible with conventional remote access methods. Things change in our tech world often and you'd have to get a recent and a direct answer from someone at the ISP that knows the facts; I doubt the CSR that answers the phone for Tier 1 calls can answer reliably regarding a public WAN IP and/or IPv6 addressing.

Regarding IPv6 and Blue Iris, since version 5.2.9 of May 26, 2020 Blue Iris provides support for IPv6 addresses in a “dual stack” mode, according to a post here.

But there's hope! Regarding Starlink, another satellite provider, IPCT forum member @Jessie.slimer has set up ZeroTier to provide remote access to his Blue Iris server.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can talk your neighbor on to it, Just get a connection at his place and use a couple
Ubiquity M5 links to get it to your house. As long as you can get line of sight, you can get a link.
I used this to get internet to my place for years, worked great and cost a lot less then satellite service.

StarLink would be the next best.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a remote satellite location with BI. Problem is the monthly bandwidth limit. We only have 25 GB at the location, and can chew through that in a hurry if we are there using it. That location is running Windows 8.1 because I am not about to try and update it over that connection! That, and it works, why bother. I agree with @Old Timer , find someone you can connect to with Ubiquity nanostations/beams/whatever, or go with StarLink. We had Hughes Net, switched to Viasat that we have now up there. Much better than Hughesnet when we switched, but still horrible compared to cable or DSL. I do have Teamviewer working up there, and it does send email alerts. I have not tried to get the app working. I may try to get Zerotier working up there this week, if I have time. I wouldn't hold my breath on it working.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes I'm hoping for Starlink if the big guys havent expanded yet. But it's not supposed to cover the VA until sometime next year at earliest.
I am at the other end of the state, and it is at least somewhat available here.

Magna86

n3wb
Reaction score
I've talked to the neighbors and some have Viasat for their internet but others are going the cell phone hotspot route which is cheaper/better. One has AT&T unlimited tablet card in a NightHawk hotspot and says they stream in 5G without an issue. So it looks like I'll be looking into that for the main house needs and possibly satelite for the cameras or just run it as a closed loop system for the time being.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As TVille stated, Viasat is much better than Hughesnet. I had them both and finally dropped Hughes.
Blue Iris works well through Viasat but with the bandwidth limits, I only access it occasionally with the app when I am not on the local network. AT&T unlimited cell plans are MUCH faster and their unlimited Elite plan allows 40gb hotspot which I have changed to and used direct tethering to my laptop for my general internet access.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
all the existing geostationary internet systems have extremely slow and high latency uplinks. so if your NVR or BI is at a site served by satellite, and you try and access this from anywhere else, the video playback will be brutally slow and bursty with about 1 second round trip request latency

edit: note, Starlink is NOT geostationary, its low earth orbit, and doesn't have these latency or ridiculously slow uplink speeds

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok has anyone hooked up their NVR or Blue Iris to the hotspot mobile devices for cell companies that provide internet?
I have. Tried it with AT&T mobile hotspot and with AT&T Fixed Wireless and neither will allow remote access conventionally for the reason I stated in post #2 which was re-stated above by @Left Coast Geek: most cellular ISP's, either mobile or fixed, employ CGNAT and therefore do not provide a public (externally available) WAN IP.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Starlink is a refreshing alternative to anybody suffering Hughsnet and and all the rest of that crap. It just works. Pull it all out of the box, throw it on a lawn to test. 2 minutes later it comes to life, aims itself and you're online! Blizzards, high winds, downpours - it just works. And works crazy well. You should instantly see ~150Mbps down, and ~20 up. Occasionally it will eclipse 300Mbps. FW is constantly being upgraded weekly or so. But compared to my old way out there Earth orbit BS, Starlink is spectacular. There is a video where some network geek drives out into the mountains with with his Starlink dish, modem, router etc and powers everything off the van (inverter) and within seconds he's online! It's going to change a lot of lives for people everywhere, not only the rural clients. We LOVE it. Gone are the days of 10-35Mbps, and gone are the outages and having to use a 20 foot pole brush to push snow off the old sat dish. These suckers heat up enough that snow and ice melt and slide off.

IF you can sign up, run don't walk! You will never look back man.