Rookie needs help

Nicoleslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
so I’m a total newbie to this camera and need help. I brought it so I can watch my dogs while I’m not home, I’ve brought the Sricam ip camera. I’ve connected it to wifi and I am able to view the camera on my iPhone while connected to the wifi the same one as the camera. However if I turn my wifi on my iPhone off or go out and use my data or connect to a different wifi like my wifi at work the camera does not allow me to view it in the app and says network error. I have no idea what to do and tried to google it but no luck. Please help me

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
so I’m a total newbie to this camera and need help. I brought it so I can watch my dogs while I’m not home, I’ve brought the Sricam ip camera. I’ve connected it to wifi and I am able to view the camera on my iPhone while connected to the wifi the same one as the camera. However if I turn my wifi on my iPhone off or go out and use my data or connect to a different wifi like my wifi at work the camera does not allow me to view it in the app and says network error. I have no idea what to do and tried to google it but no luck. Please help me
Sricam is garbage. There is no secure way to do this using that camera unless you setup a vpn. if you are going to be using it to watch your pets and a single camera you are best off with a Nest cam.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
return it while you still can, buy something better.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t really care if it’s not secure, I just want to watch them on it
You may say that now but if you open ports and it gets attacked and becomes a breach point where your other systems at home are then attacked from within, it could be more than a little annoying and take loads of time to sort. Safest way is to use vpn, that way when you've connected your phone into your vpn from wherever, you fire up the app and it'll find the camera as your phone will now be on your own internal network and the camera is too. Check also that your router then does not have any open ports from the camera setup, and add firewall rules to block the camera from "phoning home" etc.

I would add that if you went the Hik-a-like cube, DO THE SAME. Seems lots rate that unit but security isn't something I'd trust to any IPCAM maker, it'll have potential vulnerabilities just like the cheap ones do so same applies re opening/forwarding ports etc IMHO. It would likely give better image results and maybe more options, longevity I expect remains to be seen...

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don’t really care if it’s not secure, I just want to watch them on it
When i read or hear people saying this, my brain just goes berserk. So you would leave a door open and unlocked, just because it is easier and quicker to get in a room or house...?

As soon as you have a mitm attack (Man in the middle), and they eavesdropp your communications on voip phones, steal banking data, identity theft, and see when someone is at home etc etc, you will go mad.... But then it is to late, and they own your life for a very long time ;)

People always think very soft on this topic. What could go wrong? It can't be this bad... Well, it can go real bad. Sorry, you have been warned.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Scanning a QR code on an IP camera and using P2P via smartphone that utilizes a server in CHINA of all places? That'll take too long to realize the benefits of being hacked, having ID stolen, home router used to make DoS attacks...if you want to speed up the process, just post your online banking username, password and Social Security number on your Facebook page.

Last edited:

Nicoleslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make it work while using my mobile data on my phone to watch it or not? That’s all I’m asking

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make it work while using my mobile data on my phone to watch it or not? That’s all I’m asking
You just don't get it....you don't mind if others watch you on camera? You don't mind if your private data off your computer is stolen? You don't mind if you camera is used as part of a botnet to attack others?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
set up vpn and connect that way, and then close off any ports you or the camera have configured and disable upnp on everything.

There's a guide in the wiki section that may assist you at least in terms of what to set up, though specifics will depend on what router you have.

Nicoleslaw

n3wb
Reaction score
I get it but still don’t care. The app doesn’t let me watch the camera when off my local wifi network. I just want it to work

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get it but still don’t care. The app doesn’t let me watch the camera when off my local wifi network. I just want it to work
You dont get it. We dont help fools run their errands here. Why you would go start an NEW thread after this is beyond me. Stop being a naive idiot.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Setting up a VPN server allows you to remotely connect to your home network as if you are there.
The next best alternative is some form of NAT traversal, not great but better than port forwarding. Many cameras have some form of this that's easy to set up.

Sricam is pretty carapy compared to other options. Do yourself a favor and return it while you can!

RubberDinero

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could use no-ip.com and forward a port on your router.
On your phone you would put the web address created at no-ip.com and port from router.
In my Milestone Argus (WD NAS Server App), I have no-ip.com as madeupname.sytes.net:6000(not my real address or port). But my Argus software is user name and password protected by the NAS so you can't just access it through the web.

If you forward your port, you open yourself to some real danger.

no-ip is free, but you have to have a router that supports dynamic-DNS, or a PC that is up and running 24/7 to run the dynamic-DNS software. Also, you have to verify your free membership every month. The cool feature is that even if your service provider gives you a dynamic IP, no-ip makes it 1 accessible address.

To test if no-ip will work for you, forward a port to your camera, go to google.com and type, what is my IP. you will then get something like 255.255.255.255, enter that in your app settings with the port number 255.255.255.255:6000.
without being on your WI-FI, test your connection.

Most residential internet providers only give dynamic IPs that change frequently, tomorrows address could be 254.254.254.254, that's where no-ip comes in, it turns your home's changing IP to a static internet address "hackme.sytes.net". you would then put that into your app settings, hackme.sytes.net:6000 to access your network. even if your home IP changes, no-ip will automatically update your address.