Review: Loryta SD59232XA-HNR 2MP 32x Starlight IR PTZ

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, as you know by now I own and use a number of PTZ’s, AI cams and systems (Pro & Ultra) and I’m reviewing these as I add more. So I’ve now gone ahead and purchased 2 more PTZ’s directly (this 1 and another 1 that I’m hoping can be delivered next week) and will be reviewing those as I get these ready to deploy in place. I’m going to start with the Loryta SD59232XA-HNR in this review and take it through the normal paces. This is Andy’s OEM of the Dahua with the same model number.

Again, these were purchased by me directly but I will always give a shout out to Andy as I cannot say enough good things about his service, response and commitment to all of us here and even more so in the assistance he is lending all with masks, gloves etc during these ‘interesting’ times we are in. So thank you Andy for all you do !

Therefore I will use Andy’s link for those interested in purchasing as well. Approximate price is around $699 for this camera.
Loryta SD59232XA-HNR - Amazon Link

Lastly, before I get onto the review I wanted to take a second to say that hope that everyone and their families are staying safe, sane and well as we all look out for each other during the tough, global situation all are facing.

——
The review

This camera is part of the Dahua Pro AI range so not only gets object filtering (Human, Vehicle, Non-Vehicle) as well as now SMD Plus as well.

In the box is the camera, the PFB300S Wall mount bracket, a PFA110 mount adapter and then regular manuals etc. In my case I will use the PFB303 arm to mount this one.

As usual I will be covering configuration, AI setup for critical capture, tips and tricks on how to best utilize and obviously a rundown of image quality in day/night capture scenarios. Initial vids and pics in post 2, AI feature breakdown and testing in post 3, tips and tricks on how to make these features work and other settings / menu functions in post 4 and a summary of findings / recommendations in post 5.

As always, if anyone has any questions as I go just leave a comment.

Onto the specs - Highlights here and I've attached the Dahua spec sheet as well

Camera Details

Image Sensor
- 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
Effective Pixels - 1920(H) x 1080(V), 2 Megapixels
Electronic Shutter Speed - 1/3s~1/30,000s
Minimum Illumination
Color: 0.005Lux@F1.3;
B/W: 0.0005Lux@F1.3;
0Lux (IR on)

IR Distance - Up to 150m (492.13 ft)
IR On/Off Control - Zoom Prio/Manual/SmartIR
IR LEDs - 4

Lens Information

Focal Length
- 4.9mm~156mm
Max. Aperture - F1.35~ F4.4
Angle of View
H: 68.28° ~ 2.24°
V: 38.9° ~ 1.27°
D: 68.28° ~ 1.44°

Optical Zoom - 32x
Close Focus Distance - 0.1m - 1.5m (0.33ft to 4.92ft)

DORI Distance

Detect
- 2092m(6863ft)
Observe - 836m(2742ft)
Recognize - 418m(1371ft)
Identify - 209m(685ft)

Pictures

Camera front on (in PFB303W arm) + back of cam showing SD card slot

59232 #1.jpg 59232 #1 SD Card Slot.jpg

I am including the size comparison pic below again for reference. This pics shows the SD49225 on the left, SD59232 (this cam) in the middle and the previously reviewed SD8A840 4K PTZ on the right

Cam Size Comparison.jpg

Mounts Included - PFA110 adapter + PFB300s Wall Mount

PFA110 Adapter.jpg PFB300s #1.jpg PFB300s #2.jpg

The PFB303W arm is NOT included but as I am mounting use this I am showing it here to.

PFB303 Arm.jpg

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Post #2

2.1 - Daytime Video

All, here is the first set of videos, this being the daytime Auto Tracking test. As I mention in the video, while the cam is good out of the box it does to to overshoot the target and miss the lock, hence quicker, shorter caps up front.

You know I like to dial in the image and the cam for better performance :) Therefore near the end of the video I tweak the image setting more, change up the IVS and tracking target parameters and get a much more optimal, pinpointed target acquisition and lock for the entirety of the tracking time.

Take a look

2.2 Nightime Video

All

Here are some night clips from the 59232. Tweaked the image and pulled both 1/100 & 1/125 clips for you. As I always mention, taking time to tweak your IVS, image and target for the scene/FOV is a necessity in any security system BUT even more critical with PTZ’s. Just remember that none of these pro cams are plug and play and you won’t go wrong.

In this cameras case, tweaking image, rules, target, combined with low sensor noise produces very manageable grain which allows you to preserve a great image. You’ll also notice that on this sensor the noise is a crawl rather than sensor pulse and while both can be mitigated when setting cams up, the crawl always produces a more ‘enjoyable result’ as it requires less noise reduction and other tweaks to counter a pulse.

In these clips I purposefully keep NR relatively low and target tracking to medium to close. Allows the camera to adjust for movement without losing target while keeping sharpness of the image and is key to acquisition and continued tracking. Every one of these clips tracked for the entirety of the tracking time (tried many) and only returned to preset when that time limit was reached. There is a very slight delay in focus shift (foreground to background) which is not a a big deal at all as it corrects quickly but thought I would mentioned it for completeness and will see if this is the same in the latest FW.

Enjoy !

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The SD8A840 4K PTZ is a monster in respect to size, compared to the 4" and 5" models :lol:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Wildcat_1 How would you compare it to the 49225XA and have you noticed any PTZ slip on this camera.

Your Video looks spot on and the tracking looks 100%

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The 49225XA should be placed in the Pro-Series as well. I think that's still the best PTZ for budget-minded users. A few settings to tweak here and there should get the auto-tracking working to the same extent as this 5" inch model. :)

Hi Wildcat_1 How would you compare it to the 49225XA and have you noticed any PTZ slip on this camera.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@ljw2k

The 59232 is rock solid. As mentioned before, the preset slip I've only seen on a couple of units and as I own a few more now, can say that the issue definitely appears that it was limited to a small number of units.

The tracking on the 59232 works really well however the 49225 is just a little crisper (and I mean very slightly, like millisecond level), primarily due to a slightly newer motor in the 49225 vs 59232. If you dial the IVS rules, tracking targets etc in well (as I mention in the video), you will get rock solid acquisition and continued tracking for the enter alarm track time. The 49225 still of course represents one HECK of a camera for the money as I mentioned before in my review but the 59232 certainly doesn't hide in the shadows, performs well :)

Will update more with Video Structuralization testing soon and then look at summarizing in more details.

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@tibimakai, I told you I offered to help ! :) Just reach out and I'll see what I can do to help you with yours. Anything I find and adjust we can document in your main thread as well for re-discovery by others but first will need to reach out directly and in real-time so I can get a current status and config run down of your cam. LMK if you want some help

Great job on the review.
I wish, my 59225 would do half of what yours dose.

Camdeb

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you expect 4mp version 59432xa be better in image quality than this 2mp variant?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Would you expect 4mp version 59432xa be better in image quality than this 2mp variant?
No, because the 4mp model does not come with the 1/1.8” sensor, it comes with a smaller 1/2.8" sensor

Camdeb

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - a newb question does 4mp or 2mp make a big price difference as I see that both cams are in the same price range

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I checked the specs between the 2mp and 4mp models, I edited my previous comment. The reason why they are in the same price range is because they both incorporate the same 1/2.8" sensor. The 4mp model in this case will have poorer nightime quality compared to the 2mp model, but will have a better daytime image due to the number of pixels = resolution. The 2mp model will have better Starlight nightime performance and is more well-rounded for the everyday setup.

The 4mp 1/1.8" model will cost a lot more

OK - a newb question does 4mp or 2mp make a big price difference as I see that both cams are in the same price range

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
No. All you’re doing is cramming higher megapixels on the same sensor. Due to this you could expect your quality to degrade in areas and certainly performance would drop with that. Seen this many times and personally don’t think the 59432 is the way to go for 4MP. So go with the 59232/49225 for 2MP.

If you wanted to jump to 4MP then I would recommend waiting on the 5a425. That’s a great sensor / optic pairing on paper.

Camdeb

n3wb
Reaction score
I see. Thanks. Still not sure which provides more value - the pro version or 49225xa. Looks like a lot of people are happy with 49225xa price wise etc I get it. But this pro version is 2x the price and has an older motor version. There must be something else that separates them?

Camdeb

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m not looking for obvious points of differentiation like zoom but more build quality and ai features. Looking forward to more review posts