Review- IPC-WL46A 4MP 2.8mm Floodlight Wifi Network Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As first announced here by @EMPIRETECANDY we have the new Flood Light Network cam in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Ring, eat your heart out. ;)

Please keep this thread on topic.

4-MP 1/3" CMOS image sensor, low luminance, and high definition image.
Outputs max. 4 MP (2560 × 1440)@25 fps/30 fps
H.265 codec, high compression rate, ultra-low bit rate.
SMART H.264+/H.265+, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments.
Built-in microphone and speaker for real-time communication.
Active alarm with built-in 110 dB Siren.
The built-in dual floodlights can switch between warm and cool color temperature and have 4 floodlights modes.
Detects humans, vehicles and animals to reduce the occurrence of false alarms.
SMART H.264+/H.265+, flexible coding, applicable to various bandwidth and storage environments.
Dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi options, IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
Supports max. 256 G Micro SD card and NVR storage.
100–240 VAC power supply, easy for installation.
IP65 Protection.
Floodlight ModesMotion Activation
Manual
Schedule
PIR Activation

1676841874792.png

Spec sheet: Here
Quick Start Guide: Here

As noted above, it blows the doors off of the examples of Ring Flood light cam videos we've seen.
Even though it is only a 1/3" sensor for 4mp, it performs surprisingly well at night.
I initially ran the cam at the default of 30fps, h264, 4096, but as you will see in the videos it would drop frames. My Asus router it is connected to is 14ft away through one exterior wall. Both the router and the camera show a good strong signal.
I did not try the 5mhz option.
During this time, it was a great detriment to my wifi network overall. It really slowed things down. I have one other Wifi cam, an Annke cube, that is literally 2ft away from the router on the other side a the wall. Shutting down the Annke helped the situation, but didn't cure it.

This has a real webgui, that is still the much prefered Web4.0. Cam works just fine with BI, it is setup in BI just like any other Dahua cam.

You must initialize the camera with the DMSS app. Pay close attention to the instructions in the quick start guide, or you may have issues getting it initialized. The DMSS app itself does not help matters, due to its convoluted setup prompts.

You can trigger BI with either the IVS rule, or with the PIR, or both at the same time if you wish.
It only has one type of IVS rule, intrusion.

One note on firmware, this camera does require the proper version for PAL or NTSC, as there is no setup choice to change it.
Day/night profile setting works as it should. SD card works.

The camera could do a little better job at adjusting so as to not wash out faces.
The intrusion rule is not quite as sensitive as we see in other models. It could be increased a tad. I've not seen it fail, but an object must move more into the zone before a trigger occurs. <minor nitpick.

Settings
Untitled.png

Pics
PXL_20230219_220132442.jpg PXL_20230219_220153680.jpg

The rubber plug that covers the SD card and reset button, tends to not want to stay in place like it should.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is good that they are getting into this market.

It may not be a fit for many of us here that do not like wifi because in addition to the security risks, as you pointed out it slowed down your entire wifi network.

But for many people, this is a much better choice than the other wifi consumer grade cameras out there. Since it is providing the needed light, people will be able to dial this camera in and perform much better than any comparable priced consumer counterpart like Ring or Nest floodlight cameras.

You mentioned Ring specifically, and they recently allowed certain ONVIF capable cameras into their platform, so this might be a good intermediate step for those already invested into the Ring platform to upgrade away from the Ring cameras over time.

If you didn't have it connected to BI (so that is wasn't streaming 24/7), how was your wifi speed then?

I wonder why the DMSS app is needed initially? I would have thought this would be similar to the Amcrest wifi cams where they come with a DHCP and we use a tool like Fing to find it and then login that way?

Adamsdaddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am used to seeing a box around people as my WIFI outdoor camera notices them and then tracks them. Am I missing something in the two videos you posted about the IVS rule or tracking? Last question - can you change the network (i.e. to 5 Ghz) without having to hit the reset button on the camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect his videos are exported out of BI and not the camera GUI, thus the boxes around objects are not visible.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you didn't have it connected to BI (so that is wasn't streaming 24/7), how was your wifi speed then?

I wonder why the DMSS app is needed initially? I would have thought this would be similar to the Amcrest wifi cams where they come with a DHCP and we use a tool like Fing to find it and then login that way?
1-No issue.

2-I simply tested as per instructions. As in my opinion that will be how most home users would proceed.

For my use, I have now set it for h265, 1024, 10fps and it works fine without killing the whole wifi network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am used to seeing a box around people as my WIFI outdoor camera notices them and then tracks them. Am I missing something in the two videos you posted about the IVS rule or tracking? Last question - can you change the network (i.e. to 5 Ghz) without having to hit the reset button on the camera?
1-You see it as well on this cam if you are watching via the WebGui, or replaying recordings from the SD card with the Webgui.
2-I've not tried it, as 5GHZ doesn't have the distance that 2.4 has, so I have it disabled in my router. But yes, it appears you could change to that in the settings.

Reaction score
I have 4 super bright lumen lights around every side of my house due to....tire slasher.
3 are motion (1 is failing), 1 is on dusk/dawn.
Any specifications on the lumens themselves? The distance of when the lights come on? The sensitivity?
Various lens configurations? While majority of folks would put this for driveway purpose (this could replace one of my 5442's as I have 3 there....the center one is kinda redundant and can be used for other purposes), the 120'ish degree viewing angle (I can never remember that special command to display the degree symbol) would be too narrow for my sides and backyards. Would hope a fisheye (yep, just like in the Dahua VTO) would be an option.

And why does it seem everytime I review one of looney's videos.... when he stops walking and looks directly at the camera, it looks like he is looking into my soul reminding me that he has not forgotten that comment I made about need to organize his garage. Hmm.... :)

Reaction score
googled some answers:
Illumination Distance10 m (32.81 ft) (IR);
30 m (98.43 ft) (Floodlight)
Floodlight Brightness

1500-2400 lm

Floodlight Color Temperature

3000K±200K (warm);
6000K±300K (cool)

Floodlight Modes

Motion Activation
Manual
Schedule
PIR Activation
-------
Built-in MIC

Yes
* what is this built in speaker for? *

Built-in Speaker

Yes

and no lens option.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I linked the spec sheet in my OP. ;)

2.8mm is all it comes with.

PIR activation distance is advertised at 33', but it is reliably triggering in my situation a good 60'.

The speaker is for included siren, or chooseable voice alerts that can be played during activation.
Or for two way talk if so desired.

Light is adjustable lumens wise. 2400lm is the max.

Apparently you weren't forceful enough as my garage is still a wreck. :)

Reaction score
I have 5442's and 5231's on all sides of my house with janky 7000 lumen questionable motion activated 110vac security lights. Been meaning to replace them as neighbors have asked me to re-angle or dim the lumens. So this lower lumen floodlight camera is a valid option. I asked Andy during the tire slasher event about the flood light cameras at that time and he said buggy and would not recommend it (polar bear series?). Hence, I went with separate security light + 5' height cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Holbs tell your neighbors that is what blinds and shades are for lol

I change my lights to brighter as neighbors move out and new ones move in, thus what they experience has always been that way lol

Reaction score

I change my lights to brighter as neighbors move out and new ones move in, thus what they experience has always been that way lol
Unfortunately, these houses come with 5'x5' windows front and sides right to living room space. I can understand the neighbor's comments (not complaints or whining as of yet). This spring/summer, I plan on adding LED strip lighting to all fences anyways to give the needed multi-side-light-source which will negate the need for 7000 lumen LED lights in conjunction with this camera/light combo.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Haa... that's very clever of you. If you change the light brighter after they moved in they might've complaint about the light, but nothing change since day one after they move in,
it's considered "normal' to them. Human psychology at work.

The video looks pretty good for a WiFi camera. And that looks like the same dog walker from the Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8 mini ptz review video. :D

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can this camera do forced colour at night?
Is the lighting enough for it to see ok in colour at night?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

I'm going to be installing a 19,500 lumen streetlight on the edge of my property to properly illuminate the street. It will be on top of a 5m pole and will upset some people but tough titty. And the folks who will be upset are the ones I want to upset. lolol