[Resolved] Android VPN client no longer connects to UDM Pro - any clues

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First up, I've also posted my issue over here at the Ubiquiti forum, well in the comments to the thread, others have the same issue, some resolved, others not.

I have a Samsung Ultra S21 Android (version 13) phone. I have a UDM Pro (UniFi OS 1.12.33) and Network version 7.2.95.

For the last two years my VPN has been working, the only client-side changes required being the WAN IP. As of 4 or 5 days ago I noticed that I couldn't connect from my phone into my network. Only 2 or 3 days earlier it was connecting.

I know that when the Android version went from either 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, can' recall precisely, but it was known that users would not be able to create a L2TP client connection after upgrade. After upgrade though any existing L2TP client connections would remain, and users would have the ability to edit the settings. Just prior to the Android upgrade I created 5 or 6 L2TP client connections (dummies) just so that I could use them (edit accordingly) after the upgrade. After the Android version upgrade, yes it was possible to edit the L2TP connection and I still have my dummy connections to play with but can't create any new L2TP connections.

I'm at a loss now as to how to resolve this issue, short of moving from an Android phone to an Apple phone.

Any suggestions please.

Steve.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I knew this would happen, post the above issue then go about checking a few other things. Just resolved the issue, well not completely, but I'm now using the Teleport method of VPN setup on my UDM Pro. I was aware of it for a while, but since my existing VPN was working, I never bothered looking into it. So, I setup a Teleport VPN connection, emailed myself an invitation link, opened the email on my phone, clicked the link, which opened my existing WiFi Man app (a requirement to have) and presto, a client VPN connection created.

It's easier to use than the previous method, where on my phone I had to navigate 4 or 5 connection menus just to activate the VPN. Now all I must do is open the Wifi Man app and connect from there. It seems a lot smoother.

I'm going to post the above back at the Ubiquiti forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First up, I've also posted my issue over here at the Ubiquiti forum, well in the comments to the thread, others have the same issue, some resolved, others not.

I have a Samsung Ultra S21 Android (version 13) phone. I have a UDM Pro (UniFi OS 1.12.33) and Network version 7.2.95.

For the last two years my VPN has been working, the only client-side changes required being the WAN IP. As of 4 or 5 days ago I noticed that I couldn't connect from my phone into my network. Only 2 or 3 days earlier it was connecting.

I know that when the Android version went from either 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, can' recall precisely, but it was known that users would not be able to create a L2TP client connection after upgrade. After upgrade though any existing L2TP client connections would remain, and users would have the ability to edit the settings. Just prior to the Android upgrade I created 5 or 6 L2TP client connections (dummies) just so that I could use them (edit accordingly) after the upgrade. After the Android version upgrade, yes it was possible to edit the L2TP connection and I still have my dummy connections to play with but can't create any new L2TP connections.

I'm at a loss now as to how to resolve this issue, short of moving from an Android phone to an Apple phone.

Any suggestions please.

Steve.
I ran into the same issue on an s21+. Its an android 13 issue as I am not using a ubiquiti firewall and the problem occurred right after the update. You have already found a solution but here are a few more, Since you run blue iris, you can install openvpn on that pc. Or look at zerotier which is seamless and really easy to setup.