Remote Garage Connection

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We have several buildings on a 1 acre lot. The others had CAT5 run to them 20 years ago. I have a garage that is 60 feet from the main house with a blindspot I want to cover. I would have one camera to start with, at least until I add a second and then an ALPR there. :facepalm::lmao: So, to start with I would have a single camera, and I can't imagine more than three there total. I could install a cable, but getting out of the house, and avoiding the paved driveway is a pain. I do have a straight line of site to the garage. Which radio solution would be best for this? Looking at Ubiquiti, they have more options than I know what to do with! M2, M5, Loco, the list seems to go on....Are there other brands to consider?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with EnGenius products. Another option for your scenario is the EnGenius ENH500v3, buy their 2-Pack and use them in bridge mode .

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
^^ with @TonyR !

If you don't want to go the wifi-high-tech-route, and under the condition that your garage is on the same "power"circuit as your house, you can opt for what's called "powerline" adaptors: they "inject" TCPIP on the power cables. But, we have to face the (ugly) truth: they are a hit or a miss. Preferably buy them online, try them out and if you don't have a stable connection with enough performance to your house, you send them back. Advantages versus wifi: cannot be jammed, are "invisible" for the (wifi) scanners. Disadvantages: no 900mbps available, subject to (unforeseen) blockages eg in your wiring --> can not be optimised at all! These ubiquity can be optimised and finetuned in nitty gritty frequency locks etc.

Keep us posted on the outcome!
CC

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! @TonyR , do I need separate POE injectors (and does it come with them), or can they be run off a POE switch?

@catcamstar, powerline adapters might work, but I think I'll go with the radio solution - I have had funky electrical issues with this feed, and there are still X-10 controls hanging around, unused, that may complicate life.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The Loco uses its' own PoE injector and will turn into a brick if you plug it into a regular PoE switch. Ubiquity uses 24 volt versus PoE normally being 48 volt. They come complete with their own injector(s).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! @TonyR , do I need separate POE injectors (and does it come with them), or can they be run off a POE switch?

@catcamstar, powerline adapters might work, but I think I'll go with the radio solution - I have had funky electrical issues with this feed, and there are still X-10 controls hanging around, unused, that may complicate life.
Ubiquiti Nanostations and Locos use a 24 volt passive injector, not your standard 802.3af POE.
The last NSM2 I bought in April did come with the injector; on kits found online like amazon, I'd check "what's included" or ask the vendor to be sure.
BTW, UBNT does have a 802.3af to 24v adapter.

Reaction score
If your garage electrical is on the sam phase as the rest of your house, then a setup using these is what I use. And it's dead reliable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.