Record before Motion

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys Newbie here still just getting accustomed to Blue Iris coming from a Hikvision NVR. I noticed I am recording motion in some instances but its missing quite a bit of motion before for some reason. I know that in the hikvision NVR I could set a time to record or save before motion. Is that option available in Blue Iris?

Thanks!

Neil

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, under the camera settings in the trigger tab is the break time and that is how long it will record after motion. Under the Record tab is a pre-buffer box to select how long before the motion you want it to record.

And under motion settings, uncheck the object detection box and only use those features after you know what they do and use them to try to knock out false triggers. Almost none of my cameras use that box, but a few do. Too many newbies come here missing a lot of motion and it is usually that setting that they are not using correctly.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok so I changed those things - would be nice if I could administer everything globally?

I disabled the object motion since I don't know how that works but I will do more research!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I changed those things - would be nice if I could administer everything globally?

I disabled the object motion since I don't know how that works but I will do more research!
The granular level of control allows you to have different pretrigger times for each camera, thats the beauty of blue iris. You can use the "sync with cam" option to match all cams to one global for that specific tab.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One way to do it is to set up one camera in Blue Iris with all the settings you want, and then just copy the camera and change the IP address in the copied camera (not to be mistaken with a clone camera that is a different thing).

But you will find that each camera probably needs different settings and none of mine use the same pre and post times.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
right I get that - except when you want to not change 8 cameras :)

I see some profiles - but I don't know if that would apply -im guessing no. Adding future cameras I would just copy and change ip's so while I'm complaining now I'm sure it's easier in the future!

Thanks again for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
right I get that - except when you want to not change 8 cameras :)

I see some profiles - but I don't know if that would apply -im guessing no. Adding future cameras I would just copy and change ip's so while I'm complaining now I'm sure it's easier in the future!

Thanks again for the help!
See my edit above on using sync with cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Profiles are for setting day and night or home/away or weekends or whatever you want to set them to - and you will find in many instances that you will want different settings for day and night - for example maybe a smaller motion setting or a longer prebuffer time or post motion time for example.

Some people have a profile for when they are home and that doesn't record the inside cameras or the backyard for example.

Tons more flexibility than an NVR!