Recommended settings for motion detection with tree leaves and dappled light

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, our front porch cam is a ceiling-mounted dome facing mostly down. There's a small ornamental tree in the left of the frame. When there is even modest wind, the tree branches and leaves moving will cause BI motion to trigger and it's even worse at certain times of day when the sun shines through the tree, casting dappled shadows onto the main portion of the porch. I have an exclusion zone on the tree itself, and it's got a buffer zone around it. Object detection is enabled.

FWIW, image size is 2688x1520, min object size 483, min contrast 34, make time 0.9. Algo is edge vector. Object detection enabled, travel 300 pixels, reset when object exceeds 25%.

Does objection detection override exclusion zones? With highlight object rectangles on, I often get rectangles on the tree itself (ie, in the exclusion zone). What other settings would you recommend to reduce the huge number of false triggers?

Thanks for any help -- this is driving me nuts.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a lot of big trees and the shadows are insane. I switched to Deepstack for my outdoor cams and it is a lifesaver. Take the time to configure and test, and it’ll be worth it in the end. (I still use traditional motion detection at night, but that might change soon, too.) Good luck!

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest the same as aesterling. Give Deep Stack a try if you can. I got a ton of false alerts from trees and clouds changing shadows quickly. Deepstack got rid of all of them...

Spuds

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you really use DS to prevent triggers?

I though it was only to prevent actions after a trigger was found to be "false", meaning the camera motion detection still triggers, BI still records the alert but DS prevents any trigger action (unless it finds something) If it prevents the trigger action in BI (no alert in my camera list) I'd like to know how to do that as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Spuds - DS will prevent triggers.

You can check a box to tell it to hide cancelled alerts from timeline and alerts bar on the left of the screen. So all you see under the alerts lightning bolt are the confirmed triggers...

Or, if your camera has built in AI like some of the Dahua series, set up smart plan and IVS rule and then have BI pull onvif triggers and that will eliminate false triggers as well...

Spuds

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I see that now. Looks like it tags them differently which cleans up the main view but you can still get them if needed.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Looks like I'll have to consider Deep Stack and also switching to one of the "cloud based" options.

ntguru

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for a really stupid question but is there a guide/download link for Deep Stack with BI? I thought there used to be an easy one but now I can't find one even Googling around.