Ready to upgrade DVR?

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Hikvision 7208HQHI Turbo 2mp DVR for home use for a while now, happy with it, coax installed and concealed perfectly with access to power for each camera. I also have a gigabit switch at home, access to PoE switch, 100mb broadband.

I used to run a couple of IP cameras over the network to the DVR, but soon removed them due to quality issues (ghosting at night, going off-line, pixelation, keep having to reboot it, etc), so this put me off IP cameras and stuck with coax.

What I am after now is 8mp on a few of the cameras, perhaps 4 at the most, so I have to decide whether to go for an NVR 8mp (7608NI-K2) or DVR Turbo 4.0 8mp (7208HTHI). However, whichever route I go down, I will have to replace ALL my cameras to either IP cameras or at least 5mp analogue cameras (I'm told I'll need minimum 5mp cameras for Turbo 4.0 DVR to work together).

What will an NVR give me over the DVR? I'm a home user with easy access to install/remove cabling, so no comparison about cabling length and installation challenges required - just need a comparison of power, quality, performance and reliability, features and anything else, so I can then make up my mind. Also what is there not to like about NVRs? What are the gotchas and things to look out for? I would want headache free recordings as I have with the DVRs over the 12 years I've had them, not interested in missed recordings due to IP configuration/quality issues. Finally, is it true that I need 5mp cameras or more at least for the 7208HTHI 4k recorder?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Hikvision 7208HQHI Turbo 2mp DVR for home use for a while now, happy with it, coax installed and concealed perfectly with access to power for each camera. I also have a gigabit switch at home, access to PoE switch, 100mb broadband.

I used to run a couple of IP cameras over the network to the DVR, but soon removed them due to quality issues (ghosting at night, going off-line, pixelation, keep having to reboot it, etc), so this put me off IP cameras and stuck with coax.

What I am after now is 8mp on a few of the cameras, perhaps 4 at the most, so I have to decide whether to go for an NVR 8mp (7608NI-K2) or DVR Turbo 4.0 8mp (7208HTHI). However, whichever route I go down, I will have to replace ALL my cameras to either IP cameras or at least 5mp analogue cameras (I'm told I'll need minimum 5mp cameras for Turbo 4.0 DVR to work together).

What will an NVR give me over the DVR? I'm a home user with easy access to install/remove cabling, so no comparison about cabling length and installation challenges required - just need a comparison of power, quality, performance and reliability, features and anything else, so I can then make up my mind. Also what is there not to like about NVRs? What are the gotchas and things to look out for? I would want headache free recordings as I have with the DVRs over the 12 years I've had them, not interested in missed recordings due to IP configuration/quality issues. Finally, is it true that I need 5mp cameras or more at least for the 7208HTHI 4k recorder?

Thanks
you might want to reconsider 5mp cameras....read the threads on the low light cams from hikvision and dahua.