Ready for Version 5?

Reaction score
Look for an email announcement from https://mailchi.mp/21478466710e/blue-iris-version-5

We are 1 week away! Check your upgrade status on the Options page. Version 4 keys are UPGRADED to version 5 keys with support and maintenance keys. However it is NOT necessary to maintain a support and maintenance subscription to upgrade and use version 5.

The post Ready for Version 5? appeared first on Blue Iris.

Steven4x4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, am I understanding this correctly...
I can upgrade from 4 to 5 with out having to purchase a new key or have an active support plan? Cause the original announcement seemed like we need to purchase a support plan or buy a v5 license.

I know Win10 is the recommend OS. Any known issues with Server 2012 R2?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, am I understanding this correctly...
I can upgrade from 4 to 5 with out having to purchase a new key or have an active support plan? Cause the original announcement seemed like we need to purchase a support plan or buy a v5 license.

I know Win10 is the recommend OS. Any known issues with Server 2012 R2?
No you need an active support key.

Steven4x4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So in this case, a new license should be bought, right?

View attachment 42789
You either start a service plan and the key will be eligible for upgrade. Or you will likely need to buy a new key after 5 is released, which will cost you more than a service plan. So, it sounds like its better to get on a service plan.

Reactions: bqz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So in this case, a new license should be bought, right?

View attachment 42789
Yes, you can buy the extended support for 30 dollars that will allow you a free upgrade. The upgrade fee will be more than thirty probably 35-40 if I had to guess. You will need to go to the mycommerce site to cancel the auto renewal so that you dont get charged for next year if you dont want the extended support to renew.

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy the extended support for 30 dollars that will allow you a free upgrade. The upgrade fee will be more than thirty probably 35-40 if I had to guess. You will need to go to the mycommerce site to cancel the auto renewal so that you dont get charged for next year if you don't want the extended support to renew.
In hopes of helping others... MyCommerce/Digital River (DR has done $30 billion in online transactions) website has no option on their to cancel auto renew for extended support (I hope to be moved into my 04' Sprinter within a year and will setup dvr with dash cams.)

The only option available is to *Cancel Subscription* which will cancel the license entirely. Digital River definitely needs to add this option to it's website.

45 minutes on phone... The only work around is calling Tel.: +1 952 646-5022 or +1 800 406 4966 giving the rep in Philippines all of your info and they will submit a ticket. The supervisor there said even they don't have a way to directly cancel auto renew, only cancel license.

*Edit. Had to ask to be transferred to USA Supervisor and he also checked and that option is "surprisingly" unavailable and said he'll look into it and get back with me.

**Update support fee which also upgrades you to V5 is currently only $29.95 so ACT FAST as this will likely not last long. Link to purchase: Blue Iris Support
Have been with BI since V3 and as a senior it has been challenging at times but the forum, youtube videos and support has def made it easier.

Lets hope and pray the rock star that put up all the V4 BI YouTube videos does the same for V5!

Last edited:

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 'Cancel Subscription' will prevent auto-renewing but your current subscription won't be affected and will continue to be active for the full year.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris 5 isn't extremely different from version 4. Some things moved around in the main console but from what I have seen all the properties panels and stuff are the same as before.

bqz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's still not clear enough for me. If i pay 29,95 or 34,95 today, I will have my blue iris updated to version 5. But it will last for one year? So on May 2020 I will need to pay again to stay in newer version 5 releases?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's still not clear enough for me. If i pay 29,95 o 34,95 today, I will have my blue iris updated to version 5. But it will last for one year? So on May 2020 I will need to pay again to stay in newer version 5 releases?
It will work forever. IF you want newer releases you MAY have to pay. 30 dollars is a joke, its nothing. In the past he has provided them for free even though you were supposed to pay in V4.

Reactions: bqz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know what computer specs should be with 5
same as 4. Except it looks like win 7 will only be supported for 32 bit (though it cant be run as a service and use hardware acceleration anyway)

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was excited to hear version 5 was out but the new features wasn't that compelling. My wish list was to get the openalpr incorporated into the product. Would definitely buy it in a heartbeat if that happened.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was excited to hear version 5 was out but the new features wasn't that compelling. My wish list was to get the openalpr incorporated into the product. Would definitely buy it in a heartbeat if that happened.
its ok, the developer wont lose sleep over your 30 dollars, he understands that its a huge cost and a large pill to swallow. As indicated in the release notes, lpr is coming in some form.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Me? I'm waiting for things to get "ironed out" with BI5 then I'll jump on the train like most folks...I don't want to be left behind.

FWIW, by not screwing up my BI4 right now I'll have time to deal with the screw up by the people that handle the selling of Blue Iris online, and by that I mean Digital River / MyCommerce. I went to the BI site on May 2nd, placed my order for Extended Support and paid with PayPal. MyCommerce debited my PayPal TWICE for $31.15 and then, of course, PayPal debited my Chase Visa TWICE. I've traded 5 e-mails back and forth now over a 3 week period with copies attached of all this and here's what amazes me more than anything: even with clear paperwork and my explanation to them blow-by-blow as to what took place they still CANNOT see their error. Any moron can spot ONE transaction ID but TWO different invoice ID's, each for $31.15. After another week-long "investigation", I received an e-mail stating, and I quote "...We do apologize for the inconvrnience. It shows that the charge was from Amazon." BTW, that misspelling of "inconvenience" is theirs, not mine.

In whose frickin' world? I don't use my PayPal on amazon! What idiots. I will continue to work with them, possibly drag PayPal and then Chase into it but even for $31.15 I'm not giving up, as I think they hope I do.

Ken, if by some freak chance you read this (and I'm not holding my breath)...I love BI and have been a big fan of it and will continue to be but the folks in the office that handle "support" for MyCommerce are morons...specifically "Grace D.", "Oliver Delos R." and "Nichole O." :angry:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In past I used paypal and was able to dispute clai
Me? I'm waiting for things to get "ironed out" with BI5 then I'll jump on the train like most folks...I don't want to be left behind.

FWIW, by not screwing up my BI4 right now I'll have time to deal with the screw up by the people that handle the selling of Blue Iris online, and by that I mean Digital River / MyCommerce. I went to the BI site on May 2nd, placed my order for Extended Support and paid with PayPal. MyCommerce debited my PayPal TWICE for $31.15 and then, of course, PayPal debited my Chase Visa TWICE. I've traded 5 e-mails back and forth now over a 3 week period with copies attached of all this and here's what amazes me more than anything: even with clear paperwork and my explanation to them blow-by-blow as to what took place they still CANNOT see their error. Any moron can spot ONE transaction ID but TWO different invoice ID's, each for $31.15. After another week-long "investigation", I received an e-mail stating, and I quote "...We do apologize for the inconvrnience. It shows that the charge was from Amazon." BTW, that misspelling of "inconvenience" is theirs, not mine.

In whose frickin' world? I don't use my PayPal on amazon! What idiots. I will continue to work with them, possibly drag PayPal and then Chase into it but even for $31.15 I'm not giving up, as I think they hope I do.

Ken, if by some freak chance you read this (and I'm not holding my breath)...I love BI and have been a big fan of it and will continue to be but the folks in the office that handle "support" for MyCommerce are morons...specifically "Grace D.", "Oliver Delos R." and "Nichole O." :angry:
Yikes. I paid the same way. I should check for a double charge. I know in past dealing with them I just dispute when they had it on renew and it was refunded in an hour when they saw the paypal dispute. (this was not blue iris)

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Tony, I paid w/ paypal also, so I went back to check my billing and it was correct. I agree with you on chasing the double billing down. It is the principle of the thing, not the $. Mycommenence employees do sound like a bunch of Morons. Give them HELL! Good luck to you.