Quick Question. Camera’s RJ45

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m trying to install an indoor camera and wondering can I cut off the RJ-45 Female from the camera and then crimp on a new one? Trying to pass the cable through wood trim molding.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
A lot of those pre-made cables use stranded conductor which is really compatible with a crimping tool. Can you not drill the hole out some?

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A lot of those pre-made cables use stranded conductor which is really compatible with a crimping tool. Can you not drill the hole out some?
I was going to mount the fisheye under the overhang but the picture was horrible since half of the frame was the wall. I can do it wall mounted and there is a little space between the stone and the wood trim to fish the cable. I do not want the cameras pigtails (audio, power, RJ45 visible).

Attachments

Reaction score
can I cut off the RJ-45 Female from the camera and then crimp on a new one
While I have personally never done this, I have seen threads here where folks have repaired damaged wires/pigtails. You might consider using a box behind the cam to put the 'extra' wires in and make the connection. That would make having to put the connector on behind the trim a moot point. Would also make changing out at a later date easier.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If none of the above suggestions work, this RJ45 terminal block may help with your original plan.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.