Questions about model differences

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I'm understanding things, PFF relates to facial recognition. So for my 3 exterior doors I was looking for cameras and came across these two.

Using the IPVM Designer / Calculator to compare some cameras. I noticed the IPC-T2831T-ZS gave a PPF 137.5 @20' and the IPC-T2831TM-AS PPF 92 @20' ($114.99).

The model numbers in the calculator don't always match up in Amazon "T-ZS" vs "TM-AS" for example.
So to try and figure out the difference, I was looking for the chart I saw that explained how to read the letters and numbers in the model name "IPC-T2831T-ZS", but I can't find it.

IPC-T2831T-ZS - PPF 137.5 @20' - $?
IPC-T2831TM-AS S2 2.8MM - PPF 92 @20' - $114.99

A question around stores.
What is the difference between buying from the ipcamtalk store, Amazon and Andy directly?

Also will take suggestions on cameras for facial recognition/capture covering exterior doors. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the limited processor of a camera, or even a PC for that matter, cannot compare to the "mainframe" style processing applied in facial recognition in governmental or serious business applications. Those of us that have tried facial recognition have found it to be pretty unreliable even if you use a large number of sample captures of the faces you want to ID. It can work, but only somewhat reliably, if a camera is mounted properly and people are required to stop in front of the camera and look directly at the camera. Even then false identification is a problem.

In terms of the IPCamtalk store and Andy you are buying from know, verified, reputable dealers with proven track records. Buying from Amazon, assuming we're not talking about Andy's Amazon store, you do have the advantages that Amazon provides in terms of returns. Buying from Andy's Amazon store is the same as buying from him directly. Many times when I've bought directly from Andy the cameras have been shipped from/by Amazon which does result in shorter shipping times.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm understanding things, PFF relates to facial recognition. So for my 3 exterior doors I was looking for cameras and came across these two.

Using the IPVM Designer / Calculator to compare some cameras. I noticed the IPC-T2831T-ZS gave a PPF 137.5 @20' and the IPC-T2831TM-AS PPF 92 @20' ($114.99).

The model numbers in the calculator don't always match up in Amazon "T-ZS" vs "TM-AS" for example.
So to try and figure out the difference, I was looking for the chart I saw that explained how to read the letters and numbers in the model name "IPC-T2831T-ZS", but I can't find it.

IPC-T2831T-ZS - PPF 137.5 @20' - $?
IPC-T2831TM-AS S2 2.8MM - PPF 92 @20' - $114.99

A question around stores.
What is the difference between buying from the ipcamtalk store, Amazon and Andy directly?

Also will take suggestions on cameras for facial recognition/capture covering exterior doors. :)
Hi @Kimco

Check the specs ( data sheet ) for the sensor size .. ( also see attached, I've high lighted a difference )

1661279201595.png
1661279238010.png

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the limited processor of a camera, or even a PC for that matter, cannot compare to the "mainframe" style processing applied in facial recognition in governmental or serious business applications. Those of us that have tried facial recognition have found it to be pretty unreliable even if you use a large number of sample captures of the faces you want to ID. It can work, but only somewhat reliably, if a camera is mounted properly and people are required to stop in front of the camera and look directly at the camera. Even then false identification is a problem.
My terminology was probably bad here. I wasn't really going deep into "facial recognition", I was just thinking along the lines of how clear the facial picture was at distance. Does that make more sense or am I still off?

In terms of the IPCamtalk store and Andy you are buying from know, verified, reputable dealers with proven track records. Buying from Amazon, assuming we're not talking about Andy's Amazon store, you do have the advantages that Amazon provides in terms of returns. Buying from Andy's Amazon store is the same as buying from him directly. Many times when I've bought directly from Andy the cameras have been shipped from/by Amazon which does result in shorter shipping times.
Using Andy as an example, same vendor three different stores.
Is it better for him, for me, for the community based on which route I purchase. I think I saw reference to maybe getting a better deal purchasing from him directly. As opposed to Amazon. Obviously I'm familiar with Amazon, but if there is a benefit to purchasing through ipcamtalk store, then I'm open to using that shop. Bottom line, does it matter which route I purchase from, from Andy?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My terminology was probably bad here. I wasn't really going deep into "facial recognition", I was just thinking along the lines of how clear the facial picture was at distance. Does that make more sense or am I still off?

Is it better for him, for me, for the community based on which route I purchase. I think I saw reference to maybe getting a better deal purchasing from him directly. As opposed to Amazon. Obviously I'm familiar with Amazon, but if there is a benefit to purchasing through ipcamtalk store, then I'm open to using that shop. Bottom line, does it matter which route I purchase from, from Andy?
You can get a somewhat lower price by purchasing directly from Andy, especially if purchasing in bulk.

If you purchase from the IPcamtalk store, then this site gets a small commission to help with costs associated with running this site.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All vendors have to pay the middle man some .. some middle men provide value added services ( Amazon Prime Members get benefits .. and easy returns .. vs Aliexpress for example .. )

Best prices typically means going direct to the vendor, and thus trusted vendors are better if you want to go that route.

Last edited:

Kimco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not really, Andy still is the man behind the product and he's always there to help and support. I usually buy directly from him because if there is a problem, and I have had one, he can fix it immediately. That, to me, is a really big advantage.
That is what I was thinking, so the next question is. How do I buy directly from Andy?