Question

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a bullet camera wall mounted over my front door. My question is if I swap that camera out with a dome camera (wall mounted) will that give me a better field of view? Will it allow me to see a person better at my door? Here is the camera I'm talking about.
Thanks,
Mark

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
No. Location and a shorter lens length will allow you to see more at your door. Seems to be in a good location at the moment though. What's the lens in the bullet? You could also try flipping the bullet 90 degrees and rotating it in your software as well so that sideways is now up. That is often called corridor mode.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Kaw thanks for the reply!! It is a 4mm fixed lens. I was looking at a 2.8mm fixed Dome. Here is the current view of the 4mm camera.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Seeing that and where most people will approach, maybe try running a wire to the wall to the right of the cam's current position and see if you like it there. That should give you a straight on face shot of folks coming onto the porch and still be able to match the horizontal widescreen cam to the scene. That displays better on a monitor for live viewing anyway. Play with the location before permanently mounting it. Have someone walk around at night and approach your door wearing a hat and/or hoodie as well. The location that gives the best face shot wins.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah it is already permanently mounted, that's where the Boss wanted it, she wanted to catch people as they walk down the sidewalk. I will try flipping it like you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like a nice bald spot cam ;-)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Tangent's right. It is a bit high, but at least it's on the side of the door that opens (usually a good thing but less so in your case because most folks will be approaching from hard left). Decent but not perfect angle on faces on the walkway. Good baldspot inspector if you're using it live to see who's at the door. :)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like a nice bald spot cam ;-)
Tangent (and Kawboy) are telling you that -- if you want to achieve effective facial recognition -- you need to change (lower) the position of that camera or else all your going to see is the tops of everyone's head.

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You guys are funny lol. When I'm standing at the door I get good facial recognition. Kids or little people may be a problem.