Question here.

don-dorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Do my cameras use bandwidth if they are connected to my network but I don't view them anywhere other than live from my home. I'm not streaming anything anywhere. But it says I've used 164 GB of data? I am new to this and confused? I know it's a dumb question but I don't know the answer. TYAIA :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras use bandwidth on your local network unless you have cloud based cameras or haven't blocked them from accessing the internet. If they're cloud based, you're stuck. If they're not block them from internet access in the configuration pages of your router.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Do my cameras use bandwidth if they are connected to my network but I don't view them anywhere other than live from my home. I'm not streaming anything anywhere. But it says I've used 164 GB of data? I am new to this and confused? I know it's a dumb question but I don't know the answer. TYAIA :)
Yes, data is being sent over the network all the time through the switch, router, modem, NVR. Data increases when the camera is accessed whether by control, streaming, downloading.

Data consumption will be the lowest at night or where there is just a static image. You can reduce this to a degree by using the highest video compression if available such as H.265+.

You can also change the FPS, minimum / maximum Bitrate, and QOS.

Lastly, if the camera is 8MP and you drop it to 4-2MP you’ll see a larger drop as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @sebastiantombs and @Teken 's comments and ......

If you're speaking of Internet (WAN) data usage, did you ever scan a QR code or enter a UID number when setting them up?
If so, they're likely P2P and are tied to a cloud server, hence the data usage on your Internet, outside of your LAN.
You should disable uPNP and P2P wherever found (router, cams).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @don-dorn

What cameras / system do you have?

don-dorn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 6 cameras and at the moment using one. Reolink 410, Blue iris, or the Reolink app. Windows 10, Xfinity 1K GB download.: Nighthawk RAX48 Sorry it took so long to answer. Holiday :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 6 cameras and at the moment using one. Reolink 410, Blue iris, or the Reolink app. Windows 10, Xfinity 1K GB download.: Nighthawk RAX48 Sorry it took so long to answer. Holiday :)
iirc Reolink app will consume your bandwidth when you pull it up, otherwise it seems you do not have any cloud cameras and have less concerns about your internet being used.